Friday, December 12th, 2008

New Colors: Sally Hansen Insta Dri Polishes

Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Nail Polish

Sally Hansen introduces several new Insta-Dri ($4.99) shades this winter.  So, what is Insta-Dri?  Exactly what the name states - instantly drying nail polish.  It may not be instantly, but it's pretty darn close and probably the fasting drying drug store nail polish out there.

There's so much to go over with these Insta-Dri's that I'm just going to list the positives and negatives.  Usually, I don't recommend fast drying nail polish to anyone that has trouble with the three swipe rule. But, with these you dont' have to worry about three swipes, it's meant for one or two and it's easily accomplished with the large manly brush.

Positive                                                     Negative

•  A Variety Rich, Pigmented Colors
  •  Fast Drying for quick on-the-go Mani's
  •  One or two coats to be Opaque
  •  Lasts a good 5 days, esp with a topcoat
  •  Some colors are Thick and Goopey
  •  Tapered, wide shaped manly brush
  •  May not be mistake proof for some
  •  $4.99 - $5.99 for .31oz

Sally Hansen Insta Dri Swatches

Jumpin' Jade - darkened green with subtle shimmer much like Misa's Toxic Seduction, Blazing Blue - navy blue with subtle aqua shimmer, Uptempo Plum - darkened plum with purple shimmer, Pronto Purple - violet purple red and purple shimmer.

Misa Toxic Seduction and Sally Hansen Jumpin Jade

Toxic seduction isn't quite an exact dupe, but it's the closest color in my collection to compare.  Jumpin Jade is much more pigmented and has a tiny bit more blue.

Sally Hansen Insta Dri Brush

The tapered, odd size brush is mainly the downside of these insta-dri's.  My nail beds are fairly small, so you can imagine my disappiontment when I first laid eyes on this brush. But, there's a upside to this story. Looks can be deceiving.

I can understand what the folks at Sally Hansen were going for when they designed this brush.  "Since it's super fast drying, you'll need a wide brush that can coverage in less than three swipes.

At first, I thought my small nail beds were going to be the disadvantage, but they actual ended up being the advantage in my case.  The brush was a little tricky to figure out at first, but I was able to swipe in two coats since my beds are small (center swipe then swirl from right then left - try to swirl with the shape of the tapered brush). That's how I apply mine.

Sally Hansen Insta Dri Swatches

The Insta-Dri polishes is a pernament Sally Hansen procut and is available at most stores. What do ya'll think?

Love these? Click here to check out some Limited Edition summer 09 bright shades.

J Thompson said on Dec 12th, 2008 7:48 am
These are beautiful! Haven't seen them around here in Houston, but will definitely be on the look out.

katee said on Dec 12th, 2008 9:49 am
Surprise! I thought the looked "ick" in the bottle, but on you they look great!

Steph said on Dec 12th, 2008 1:32 am
Katee, I got that same impression too. The bottles make them look somewhat dull. You definitely should pickup Jumpin Jade if anything :)

Steph said on Dec 12th, 2008 1:33 am
Hi J, My walgreens just put them out the other day. So, they should be popping up soon :)

Vampy Varnish said on Dec 12th, 2008 1:40 am
Wowzers I really like the jade one!

Steph said on Dec 12th, 2008 11:55 am
Kelly, You definitely have to get jumpin jade :)

Atomica said on Dec 13th, 2008 5:55 am
Jumpin Jade is gorgeous! Must have it! Thanks for the lovely swatches.

Jamie said on Jan 3rd, 2009 12:23 pm
I love these so awesome Mochachino is a pretty brown with a touch of wine Lightening is a ugly flat yellow blah I want the plum now

Steph said on Jan 3rd, 2009 12:31 pm
Hi Jamie, They have a great selection of colors. I just picked up another one the other day - it's a nude loaded with shimmer very pretty :)

Julie said on Jan 21st, 2009 1:52 am
Get Sonic Bloom, it's beautiful! It was the first one I purchased and I love it. I personally love the brush, it's perfect for my nails. Yesterday I bought Blazing Blue and Beige Blast. I have yet to try them but hopefully they're as pretty as the first one.

Jane said on Jan 24th, 2009 2:51 am
I am SO in love with these polishes but can't find them anymore! The two CVS's I purchased the two I have at are already sold out of them and I can't find them online. I can't say enough good things about this polish. I guess my only minor complaint would be there isn't a TON of shine but who cares when it dries as fast and lasts as long as it does. If anyone comes across where to purchase these online, I'd love a head-up!

Steph said on Jan 24th, 2009 7:43 am
Hi Jane, Do you have a Walgreens near by? I've seen the Insta-Dri's there also. Hope you can find them soon! :)

kenzie said on Jan 24th, 2009 11:53 am
you said they were thick and goopy right? well does that mean that the polish doesn\\\'t go on smoothly since its so thick?

Steph said on Jan 25th, 2009 9:43 am
Hi Kenzie, Not neccessarily. Just thicker than other brands like OPI or China Glaze. I don't think you'll have any problems. :)

Jane said on Jan 26th, 2009 10:47 am
Thanks Steph. The problem I've been running into is that every time I come across a display of these amazing polishes - they're already all picked over and there are only unattractive (to me!) colors left. So far I have three shades of essentially the same pink! I'm looking for a very sheer pink/white now. Thanks very much for the tip.

Julia said on Jan 27th, 2009 3:58 am
I just bought the "Rapid Red" last night at CVS and I think it is the perfect nail polish. It really does exactly what it claims to do: One coat finish in 60 seconds. I usually apply up to 4 coats of red to get the color I like, but I am very happy with one coat of this polish. The bottle is smaller than normal and the cost is a little much, but worth every penny! By the way, Sally Hansen has a matching Insta-Dri clear top coat.

Steph said on Jan 27th, 2009 6:11 am
Hi Jane, I totally feel ya! It can be most frustrating when no colors are left! A few days ago I noticed that my Walgreens had a new section for the Insta Dri's in the permnament line. So, hopefully they become a permnament product. :) Hi Julia, I agree, these are great and the color selection is fab. Sally Hansen has a great brand :)

rmcandlelight said on Jan 27th, 2009 10:12 am
I purchase them at Walgreens. I bought the yellow one lightening and jumpin jade. I haven't used them yet. If I like the application I will be purchasing more.

pumple said on Jan 29th, 2009 10:35 am
I love these nail polishes!! I bought the green, blue and black and I went back to CVS and I can't find them. I'll check Walgreen's!! Please don't stop selling these!!!

Angie said on Feb 5th, 2009 7:59 am
The delivery truck for this stuff is coming tommorow at the wegmans where I live. Me and my bff are going to get some tommorow. I saw the ad for this nail polish in 17 magazine and I can't wait to buy it!

Steph said on Feb 6th, 2009 12:57 pm
Hi Angie, Oooh, how fun! You guys will go crazy! Let us know what you get :)

lorien said on Feb 18th, 2009 10:10 am
Best nail polish ever hands down. One coat, almost one swipe, dries fast! Amazing! I am buying every color as soon as they restock it in the store by me!

Steph said on Feb 18th, 2009 11:51 am
Hi Lorien, So glad you like them. They are great! Can't wait to see if they come out with more colors :)

Terry said on Mar 2nd, 2009 9:43 am
Love the colors .I found one called blue streak at Rite Aid the brush is the best part !! It Rocks Two swipes your doneand bammo it's dri! Love love love ....

Natasha said on Apr 2nd, 2009 9:32 am
My roommate Jessica and i both purchased he Fast Dry, Blue streak and also Pronto Purlple. Well, we were both very disappointed in this product, first it doesn't "instant dry" in fact, it takes about 15 mins. to completely dry, so you don't screw up @ least 1 nail. Also, it starts to chip within 4 hrs, even with top coat. I don't know what I can do to solve this problem?? But I had to let know, really not haappy spending almost $7.00 @cvs for nail polish that doesn't work. Thanks for your time.. -Natasha & Jessica

Steph said on Apr 3rd, 2009 11:34 am
Hi Natasha & Jessica, Oh No! That's such a bummer about all the problems you guys been having. I haven't encountered anything like that thus far. Are you using a fast dry topcoat? If your not happy, I'd def take it back to CVS and see if they'll give you'll your money back :)

michelle said on May 7th, 2009 12:30 pm
where can these insta-dri's be located? I've seen them at duane reade but they don't sell lightening. the only color i want :(

Steph said on May 8th, 2009 9:03 am
Hi Michelle, Do you have a Walgreens near you? They've also came out with a new yellow called Lemon Dash. It's a tad bit lighter than lightening.

LJ said on Sep 16th, 2009 11:49 pm
Target and WalMart also carry the insta dri. My Target is always picked over and I've always found what I want @ Wal Mart.

Comments