Thursday, January 1st, 2009

New From Sally: Easy to Use Nail Art Pens

New Sally Hansen Nail Art Pens

Along with the Insta-dri polishes, Sally Hansen introduces eight new nail art pens ($7.99). A variety in white, black, light pink, hot pink, blue, red, silver and gold. An easy-to-use fine tip pen filled with different shades of lacquer in each one.

The mistake proof formula can be removed or corrected with a moist cotton swab without damaging dry nail polish. Water based formula is environmental friendly. Possibilities are endless.

I'm really excited about these new nail art pens from Sally Hansen. Mistake proof indeed. Since the formula is water-based, it's such a breeze removing when you make a mistake. Just take a moistened tissue or cotton ball and wipe without disturbing your base coat.

Check out swatches and a video tutorial.

Sally Hansen Silver Nail Art Pen

My swatches may be a little messy, but I wanted to show you guys how super easy this was.  It literally took me all of 1 second per nail.

Chanel Black Satin with Sally Hansen Silver Tips

Sally Hansen Nail Art Pens

Potential Negatives: As much as I love these nail art pens, $7.99 is expensive. Especially if you wanted to pick up a couple different colors like myself. Try choosing a shade such as white, silver or gold that you can alternate with any nail color in your collection. Your initial clear or colored base must be completely dry before applying the nail art colors.

Tips: Apply SV (Seche Vite) or any fast dry top coat to your colored base to avoid ruining your mani. Make sure SH's nail art color is completely dry before sealing with a topcoat. And, just remember the formula is water based so it must be completely dry.

Sally Hansen's Nail Art Pens are now available in stores and retail around $7.99/ea.

Check out some fun I did with Light Pink, Hot Pink, Black and Silver Nail Art Pens. What do you guys think? Do you love them? Hate them? Spill the beans.

Tags: sally hansen, nail art pens, nail polish, swatches

Posted by Steph at 07:43:am
views / 90 comments

Cassidy said on Jan 2nd, 2009 7:12 am
where could i buy these?

Sarah said on Oct 26th, 2009 4:31 pm
You can get them at K-Mart. Thats where I got mine.

Valerue said on Jan 2nd, 2009 10:48 am
I saw these in a magazine and really wanted to try them, but I was waiting for a review first. Thanks! :D Now I just have to find out who sells them around here and try them out.

Steph said on Jan 3rd, 2009 12:28 pm
Hi Cassidy, Try your local walrgeens, that's the only place I've seen them. :)

Steph said on Jan 3rd, 2009 12:43 pm
Hi Valerue, Thanks for stopping by! These are super easy espically if you have an steady hand - it's cake! Check your walgreens. That's the only place I've seen them so far :)

adele said on Nov 3rd, 2010 1:40 am
Heyy I'm adele, what is a walgreens??

Steph said on Nov 4th, 2010 7:15 am
Hi Adele,
It's a drugstore in the US

Taylor said on Jan 3rd, 2009 9:21 am
These look awesome! :) How much are these? I know Sally Hansen products are usually expensive.

Steph said on Jan 3rd, 2009 9:54 am
Hi Taylor, Aren't these super cool? They retail around $7.99 each which is the only thing that kept me from stocking up on every color :( I picked up white, gold and silver.

Toma said on Jan 3rd, 2009 10:02 am
These are great! I picked up the light pink at Walgreen's. I love the fact that the applicator tip is stiff, so you can get a precise line. Much easier to use than the nail art brushes. You are right though on the price, $7.99 is steep when you want to buy more than one color. Great pics!

Steph said on Jan 3rd, 2009 12:47 pm
Hi Toma, Thanks :) Aren't they just the easiest? ITA - Those nail art brushes don't do justice. It's so hard to pick a color - I want them all!

Leanne said on Jan 3rd, 2009 2:08 am
Hi I am from scotland and seen these in a magazine too!! Can't find them anywhere on the internet apart from this website any ideas where to look?? They look really good!

Steph said on Jan 3rd, 2009 2:49 am
Hi Leanne, These are super new and just starting to pop up at Walgreens and other drugstores very slowly. So, keep your eyes out. As far as ebay or online, it looks like nothing as of yet. I'll keep an eye out :)

sally hansen nail art lover said on Sep 15th, 2009 9:30 pm
i love these pens i have all colors except blue and silver i just painted strawberries on my nails and cows on my toes :P theey rock live in canada so i actually orded them on ebay because they dont sell them here but i love your nail pics :D

Stephanie said on Jan 3rd, 2009 6:35 am
Hey! I live in Canada, can I get these there? Or where could I order them online if not?

Marci said on Jan 3rd, 2009 9:29 am
Great comments and great photos! Thank you so much! I am going crazy about these new nail polishes and the nail art pen! Just got the Glamour magazine today and am going to go to Walgreens to figure out if they sell them at this location! Wish me luck! Thanks! Marci

Marci said on Jan 3rd, 2009 9:33 am
It is Marci again.. Hey, this color on her nails, Mac Varicose Violet, where can I find that nail polish? Who makes it?

Marci said on Jan 3rd, 2009 11:20 am
I just got the light pink and white nail art pens. Walgreens have them buy one get one free!!!! The ad doesn't start til tomorrow but.. thought that was cool b/c the manager gave them to me for the sale price! I scored big time! Walgreens is the bomb! And so are you all! Thanks and have a super duper night!

Leanne said on Jan 4th, 2009 7:20 am
Ok thats good thanks for your help :)

Steph said on Jan 4th, 2009 11:39 am
Marci, That's so awesome!! BOGO is such a fab deal for these. Thanks for letting us know. How do you like them? Varicose Violet nail polish is MAC's you can get it online or at a MAC store :)

Steph said on Jan 4th, 2009 11:44 am
Hi Stephanie, I'll have to double check on that. Hopefully they will be *crossing fingers* available in Canada. If I find anything out I'll def let you guys know:)

Nyx said on Jan 5th, 2009 9:37 am
Hi there, I got the black and silver, but I can't get them to work. Mine look kind of watery when I put them on and kinda melt. How long do you let yours dry? I think that might be my problem

Steph said on Jan 5th, 2009 10:12 am
Hi Nyx, Yeah, you have to let them dry a good amount of time, but it shouldn't be that long?. Did you shake the pen before each use to mix up the formula? I know that was my problem at first. Hopefully that helps :)

Nyx said on Jan 5th, 2009 12:32 pm
I shook them a little bit but I guess I'll shake it for longer, thanks so much love the blog!

Steph said on Jan 5th, 2009 1:53 am
Also try pressing down the tip on a piece of paper to get the formula started. Awww thanks so much! Hope you stop back soon :)

Marci said on Jan 5th, 2009 7:55 am
Hey Steph, I tried these yesterday and had great designs and what not.. anyhow, I get in the shower and they wash off! Just make sure you put a top coat on it after it dries so it will stay on! Cool pens! What is BOGO? : )

CarCar said on Jan 5th, 2009 9:20 am
These were invented by nail dazzle @ naildazzle.com Check it out!

CarCar said on Jan 5th, 2009 9:33 am
I messed up. These pens are @ nailartmagic.com. I thought it was naildazzle.com.

Steph said on Jan 6th, 2009 8:10 am
Awww! Yeah, you def need a good top coat :) It's Buy one Get one free.

Aze said on Jan 7th, 2009 6:35 am
Do you know any websites where I could buy these online?

mckayla said on Jan 7th, 2009 7:09 am
I want these really bad because I love painting my nails with cool designs but with nail art pens you cant mess up on your nails:) I just need to know where they sell them??

Jessie said on Jan 7th, 2009 8:49 am
heyy. these pens are pretty bomb but damn, they are really expensive since regular nail polish is only lik $3! so i could only afford one of them at the moment [go red!] But yeah not all of the local walgreens are selling them, my friends were having problems finding them till i did

Steph said on Jan 8th, 2009 1:13 am
Hi Aze, Probably Not. And, if I had to guess they probably won't be avavilable online except on ebay. Check out your Walgreens store if you have one close to you. Hi McKayla, Check your local Walgreens. Thats the only place I've spotted these. Hi Jessie, I know! It totally sucks that their so expensive. But, right now Walgreens currently has buy one get one free which is a great deal. :)

shortii0x3 said on Jan 9th, 2009 5:07 am
Where can I buy this I can't find it any freaking place. I need one I'm really good at doing nails and I want to be better. I NEED TO KNOW!

mytwocents said on Jan 9th, 2009 8:16 am
Did anyone else notice they haven't put out the white shade in almost any walgreens? whats up with that? I want the WHITE so I can do french manicure! and it's buy one get one right now so they need to put them out now :P

Steph said on Jan 10th, 2009 8:34 am
Have you checked your local walgreens, cvs or local drugstores where they have Sally Hansen Displays?

Steph said on Jan 10th, 2009 8:37 am
Hi Mytwocents, Yeah, it looks like the white is the hot seller and is almost always out of stock. They really needed to stock more than two of each color. booo :(

mytwocents said on Jan 10th, 2009 9:14 am
Oh thanks for answering my post your awesome! I thought they just hadn't stocked it yet because I was literally there the day before and that display wasn't there. Damn I guess other people got to it faster than me. I will check back again tonight because BOGO ends today hope they have it (crossing fingers). Oh also your blog is like one of the only ones to review it and insta-dry!! It's not even on the Sally Hansen site! Your awesome!

Steph said on Jan 10th, 2009 10:00 am
Hi Mytwocents, Aww thanks so much, that means alot to me :) Yeah, sometimes it seems like the employees may have first grabs. When I picked up mine their was only one left and haven't seen them since. If you have any other Walgreen close by you may try calling and see if they have any stocked. I'm sure they'll hold it for you. :)

Alexis said on Jan 11th, 2009 8:26 am
Hey Steph do you think that you could find out if they are available in Canada yet because I really want one.

aze said on Jan 11th, 2009 10:41 am
i agree with mytwocents, i checked that sally hansen site and they dont even show that prouct. You are awsome. I saw it in my magazine and luckily i found this website!!! im soo lucky =)

Steph said on Jan 14th, 2009 1:45 am
Awww, thanks you guys!

hazle said on Jan 16th, 2009 1:30 am
Ahhhhhhhh! i have to get them!

Alison said on Jan 17th, 2009 8:42 am
OMG!!!!!!!! I finally got some nail art pens, I am so excited yay for me!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

michelle said on Jan 22nd, 2009 9:19 am
They look awesome!! I want themm except I cant find them anywhere besides online :(

Steph said on Jan 24th, 2009 8:08 am
Hi Alison, So glad you finally found them! Hi Michelle, Yeah, these can be a little hard to track down. Today when I was in my CVS they had put the nail art pens with the regular SH nail polish pens colors and had tons of them because they were kinda hidden.

kenzie said on Jan 24th, 2009 11:43 am
I saw the add for these in cosmo and I looked all over for them on the internet and the only place i saw them was ebay. :x So i'm going to walgreens first thing tomorrow. (:

Leanne said on Jan 27th, 2009 11:20 am
AAAAHHH it's so annoyin i still can't get them anywhere online as i live in Scotland and all of the sellers on ebay only ship to the U!!! :)

Steph said on Jan 27th, 2009 5:49 am
Hi Leanne, Awww, sorry to hear that :(!

Alicia said on Jan 27th, 2009 7:07 am
They came a week late to the walgreens where I live and they were buy 1 get 1 half off, not free. but still a great deal. i bought 4 different colors for the same price as getting my nails done once at a salon so it was worth it to me. advice to those who have them or plan to buy-when making your design allow it to completely dry and then put another coat. i did silver tips on black and had to go over the stripes again becuz they didn't show up so well. Thanks steph for letting me know where to buy them. I love em!

Nicole said on Jan 29th, 2009 9:47 am
I saw these in my magazine earlier this month and I have yet to see them on Walmart shelves. I was planning on spending some of my Christmas money on them... but they never came in. I even checked out the Sally Hansen website (which is advertised in the ad) but this product is nowhere to be seen on their entire site. I think that's a little odd.

mala said on Feb 2nd, 2009 10:15 am
I have a habit of checking out the cosmetics dept at walgreens every now and then, and came across this new line from SH. I was overjoyed because right now I'm all into nail art and it is so so amaZingly cool. I find the colors a little watery but I don't mind applying a second coat to make it bold. the price is a bit stiff but they are HOT!

Anna said on Feb 20th, 2009 8:40 am
Thanks so much, this is a great review. I was at Walgreens a couple of days ago and saw these, and just HAD to buy one. I got the white one, but I've been a little bit intimated to use it. I'm gonna try it later tonight :)

Steph said on Feb 27th, 2009 8:51 am
Hi Nicole, Sally Hansen finally added this product to their site. Yesterday at Meijer's, I saw that Nail Art Pens is going to be a permanent line. yay! Hopefully you can find them soon! Hi Mala, Yeah, their a little watery at first espically if you don't give them a good shake. I noticed after the first couple uses, it's not as watery. They are super hot! :)

bravelara said on Mar 10th, 2009 1:08 am
Hi again, We have sally hansen products here in philippines... but I don't think they have nail art pen. I ordered some nail art pen from korea, with brush & pen in ONE. but its really hard to use the brush sometimes. Where can I order for these? can I order on-line? At least how much?? Please advise. Thank you cheers

Steph said on Mar 10th, 2009 12:26 pm
Hi Bravelara, In the US, Sally Hansen's nail art pens are included in her permanent product line. So, hopefully you'll see these in the next couple months. I've also seen some on ebay, you could always try that. Good luck, hope you find some! PS those art pens with the brushes don't do any justice for me :)

ScorpioMaurus said on Mar 20th, 2009 4:20 am
I love the fact that you don't have to squeeze them as we did with previous nail pen type things however I hate the fact that you must be very careful in between the time you apply the Pen and the Top coat. The Pen Polish fades and Chips far to easily and they are way to expensive. I'm not really sure why they think they are worth so much. I'd much rather get a whole set of colors for $10 than pay $8 for just 1. The convenience of not having to squeeze the color out is not worth it. For anyone looking I too have only seen them @ Walgreen so far.

Michelle said on Mar 31st, 2009 3:17 am
Hey, I am glad to see a nice review for these pens. I found an ad for buy one get on free in my San Diego paper at CVS drugstore so good time to buy them, makes them about 4.00 each.

Tiffany said on Mar 31st, 2009 11:59 am
CVS has them for buy one get one free this week. We love them!

Lisa said on Apr 2nd, 2009 8:53 am
thanks for the review & youtube tutorial! one question: i used black last night, let it dry, then applied a clear topcoat (revlon CSAO) & this morning i noticed that every nail has a crack in the black portion. any thoughts as to why this happened & how i can prevent it in the future?

Steph said on Apr 3rd, 2009 11:47 am
Hi Michelle, Oooh, thanks! That's a great deal! Hi Tiff, Aren't they the best! I own every single one :) Hi Lisa, Does this happen everytime? And is your nail completely dry before applying the topcoat? The topcoat may also contribute to the cracking issues. The other day when my Seche Vite wasn't handy, I grabbed another brand and I had minor cracking. Hopefully it helps! Let us know :)

mollycoddle said on Apr 6th, 2009 7:11 am
has anyone found them online yet??? i live in a small town and have only one walgreens...30 minutes away. I've gone three times but have yet to see them there. I REALLY NEED ONE FOR PROM!!!

Steph said on Apr 7th, 2009 7:02 am
Hi Mollycoddle, These should be showing up pretty much everywhere since their a permanent line now. I would def try calling your Walgreens before you make the trip :) Looks like the only place available online is ebay :(

jessica said on May 19th, 2009 5:54 am
i tried these. theyre awesome. i wrote my bf's name on one nail and he thought it was really cool too. i saw them at walgreens and kroger. not at target. sometimes walgreens has buy 1 get one or buy one get onehalf off. you just gotta check every sunday.

Jenn said on May 20th, 2009 11:14 am
Hi, I have kind of a silly question. I am right handed, and have ALWAYS had way more difficulty painting my right hand nails. I have no idea how all these girls do their nails so perfectly! I am even more baffled by how people manage to do the nail art using their non dominant hand. Do you have any tips/hint/suggestions? I always just end up with my left hand really nice but my right hand super crappy. Thanks!! great vid by the way, I'm seriously considering getting these, I love how they are wipe-off-able!! The price is a little expensive though...:(

Steph said on May 20th, 2009 8:58 am
Hi Jenn, That is not a stupid question at all! And, still to this day, I have trouble with my writing hand too :) What helped me is practice, practice and more practice. Since Sally's art pens is like a regular pen or pencil, you may want to try handwriting more with your right hand, so you can get the feel for it. One of my challenges for my right hand was keeping it steady, it took time. Try to use your right hand for CC signatures or small things to get your right hand exposed a little more. I'm so much better at doing someone else's nails than my own :)

Kate said on Jun 6th, 2009 1:39 am
These things are great, and totally worth the price. A french manicure costs $25. With one of these pens, you can give yourself a manicure for many times. I highly recommend this product.

Tori said on Jun 20th, 2009 1:33 am
I noticed on Walgreen's website that they didn't have White or Black :( On Sally's Hansen they have the product but it is so difficult to find it in the stores! They recommended Target. Well I looked there and They didn't even have it! Of course they had the regular pens (The ones for your whole nail) Thank you everyone for posting because now I can go to Walgreen's and not have to worry about wasting my time! I will definetly try them :)

Mary Higgins said on Jul 3rd, 2009 3:13 am
These are great! So far I have hot pink and red. I'm trying to find white or silver but these things are so popular! I've checked three walgreens and two walmarts and they had every color except the ones i want! >:/ I'm thinking about just buying them online. Better than running around and trying to find one when I know they're going to be sold out of white or silver. (They're a dollar cheaper at walmart, just to let everyone know)

Bre said on Jul 9th, 2009 12:05 pm
Hmm, I really wasn't impressed with my nail art pen. Maybe it was just the one I bought. I did the tips of my nails with the red one & it took me forever to do because the liquid was so hard to get out. I had to keep shaking it & pressing it on a hard surface. Also, it chipped sooooo easily...even with a really good top coat. :(

Steph said on Jul 9th, 2009 12:39 pm
Hi Bre, To put it bluntly, the red pen sucked all around for me!! It was the only pen I had problems with. I would definitely try another color, some my faves: hot pink, blue, white, or black. :) Gold and Silver are nice too, but has a similar texture as the red.

Bre said on Jul 9th, 2009 12:41 pm
Hmm, that's weird. But okay, I'll be sure to try the others :) thanks!

jen said on Jul 16th, 2009 10:43 am
DON'T waste your money on the black pen. I put it over hot pink (2 layers) and it stained my toenails and the skin around my nail. Maybe I'll have better luck w/ a lighter color.

Styleezta said on Jul 31st, 2009 1:05 pm
Sally Hansen nail products on sale at CVS Buy one get one 50% off

Fey said on Aug 12th, 2009 4:58 pm
Why don't you just buy Migi or Nail Jazz pens, they come in packs of different colors. One pen is double sided with 2 different colors and you get more variety for the buck. A set of 4 Migi pens (that's 8 different colors) is like $25 and Nail Jazz has them for $30 a set. If you buy more colors, it's cheaper. They have webistes to buy from. SH is way too expensive and not enough colors, what a rip off!

Rainey said on Aug 17th, 2009 6:38 pm
These pens are amazing!! they\'re actually $7 at wal mart! Which is too bad because if they were cheaper I'd definitely buy them in every color. My friend actually used it and i commented on how pretty her nails looked and she said it was the nail art pen so the next day i went out and got it. They are super easy to use and work really well!

sydney said on Oct 13th, 2009 3:15 am
i found some at walmart, just to let everyone else know (:

Alannah said on Oct 21st, 2009 8:01 am
They aren't in Canada yet, at least not where I live, but my mom brought me back 6 different colours from the US, she got them at Walgreens

anna said on Nov 15th, 2009 7:42 am
Do you know if it's possible to buy them in Norway, from an online store??

roar said on Dec 6th, 2009 7:15 am
Hi I'm from Malta and would really like to buy Sally Hansen's nail art pens, can you tell me please where can i find them ? :) Thanks

Helen said on Dec 31st, 2009 2:19 pm
at Walgreen's right now...BOGO

Marcel said on Mar 3rd, 2010 8:46 am
very nice tutorial video! thanks

janna said on Mar 29th, 2010 5:21 am
Im from Philippines. Can someone tell me where I can buy this? Thnx!

Geethy said on Apr 18th, 2010 3:33 pm
I'm in Canada. They're a new product here for Wal-Mart... $6-7 per pen... It doesnt look like it's good quality though.. what do you guys think?

katherine said on May 24th, 2010 11:44 pm
I saw these ad in allure, and I like it.. Where could I buy these? In the phillippines. thanks!

Danika said on Jul 6th, 2010 6:39 pm
You can buy them at Walmart! Thats where i got mine i'm actually wearing it right now!

jasmine said on Jan 27th, 2011 8:56 pm
I saw these in an ad in Dolly magazine and i reckon they are really cool. where can you get them in australia cheap?

Becky said on Apr 23rd, 2011 8:09 pm
I really want these art pens but I don't know where to find them can someone tell me where?

Steph said on Apr 24th, 2011 12:24 pm
Hi Becky,
If you are in the US these are pretty easy to find - Rite Aid, Walgreens, CVS and most grocery/drug stores.

DanNing said on Aug 19th, 2011 12:25 am
Hi I'm DanNing! I have a really bad habit of biting my nails, but now I've stopped. They have barely grown but I really want to make these cute angry birds nails. I live in Turkey, Istanbul. I've been trying hard to find these cuz their so cute! I've only found them on the Internet and I'm not allowed to buy stuff online. I come from China, and there is a website called taobao.com which you can get these pens for cheap prices!

Comments