Wednesday, May 6th, 2009

Dior Summer 09 Vernis Nail Swatches

Dior Summer 09 Vernis Cristal Collection

This summer, Dior introduces three new beauties the Cristal collection: Bubble Gum, Sweet Orange (Sephora Exclusive) and Purple Candy. Along with these new additions are two more department store LE exclusives, Grenade (Macy's) and Paprika (Nordstrom).

I always say don't judge a book by its cover and this being the perfect case. Most shades were completely different from the promotional images we saw online and some of us will probably be disappointed by that fact.

Overall, a nice round up of spring and summer shades with the formula being top notch. Most colors had a two coat application with the exception of a couple.

Check em' out!

Dior Paprika nail vernis swatch

Dior summer 09 nail polishes

Nordstrom Exclusive, Paprika is a mid tone pink with silver shimmer.

Dior Sweet Orange nail polish

Dior summer 09 nail polishes

Sephora Exclusive, Sweet Orange is the most unique out of the five, described as a pinky peach with gold shimmer that's really pretty and tops as my fave from the summer release.

Not exact dupes, Nars Orgasm is the closest comparison I have to Sweet Orange. Check out the swatch below.

Dior Sweet Orange and Nars Orgasm

The only true difference between these two, Sweet Orange is more pink when compared to Orgasm. It takes four coats of Orgasm to equal three of Sweet orange.

I really do prefer Dior's version over Nars, color wise and formula.

Doir Grenade nail polish swatch

Dior Summer 09 nail polish

Macy's Exclusive, Grenade is a bright hot pink with a mix of rainbow shimmer, blue being the most noticeable.

Grenade Alternatives: NYC Midtown and Borghese Dolce Vita Fuchsia.

Dior Bubblegum nail polish swatch

Dior summer 09 nail vernis

Bubble Gum was quite the little suprise. From Dior's promo pictures I was expecting a bubble gum pink shade, instead we get a bright summery color. Described as a bright coral pink with very subtle shimmer like Purple Candy.

Sure, this isn't the most uniqiue shade, but I'm just happy it wasn't another pink.

Dior Purple Candy nail polish

dior summer 09 nail polishes

Dior Counter, Purple Candy is a magenta pink with very subtle shimmer.

Purple Candy Alternatives: Orly Samba.

Dior retails for $20.00 and is now available at Dior counters or specialty department stores.

Styrch said on May 6th, 2009 10:24 am
I LOVE Paprika! It's totally not what I would picture if someone said "paprika" but it's an awesome pink! Not sure I think it would be worth the price. How dupable do you think all of these are?

Betty said on May 6th, 2009 12:13 pm
I really like Sweet Orange and Purple Candy. Steph, I am currently in the hospital post- surgery and am SO glad I have my iPhone to check your blog and read old posts when I am bored. I just wish I could paint my nails! What color goes with ugly blue hospital gown? Haha! Thanks for being so awesome!

Lizzy said on May 6th, 2009 2:28 am
ooo I want sweet orange and bubble gum. Too bad, I don't wanna dig out the cash. The search for dupes begins for me.

OutspokenWallflower said on May 6th, 2009 3:08 am
Thanks soooo much for these swatches! I already have Purple Candy and Sweet Orange, and after seeing these pics, I definitely wanna round out the collection with Bubble Gum. It may not be 100% original, but its not a bubble gum pink, and I happen to like the subtle shimmer Purple Candy has, SO, lol to know that Bubble Gum has it too is something to look forward to. =]

Steph said on May 6th, 2009 5:27 am
Hi Styrch, I know, the names are totally off! Paprika was alot prettier on than I expected :) Most colors are pretty easily dupeable except Sweet Orange. Hi Betty, I got your comment a couple days ago and it really made me smile :) I hope everything went well with your surgrery and your off to speedy recovery. Have you had a chance to mess around with the pens yet? Hi Lizzy, Most are pretty easy to dupe except Sweet Orange :) Hi OutspokenWallflower, No problem hon! Bubble Gum is the brightest of the collection and I really loved it! It just pops :)

MERitt said on May 6th, 2009 5:56 am
So i've actually never used Dior polish - i'm assuming it's as fab as the brand's other cosmetics. I seriously heart these colors.

Steph said on May 8th, 2009 8:31 am
Hi Meritt, Actually, Dior's formula is really good :) Even better than some of the higher end brands.

CiCaDa said on May 21st, 2009 9:55 am
Thanks for the swatches!!! I love Sweet Orange (unfortunately, we don't have it in our country) and Bubble Gum! Do you know something similar to Bubble Gum? maybe smth from OPI, Zoya, Orly or Essie?

Steph said on May 21st, 2009 11:40 am
Hi CicaDa, My Pleasure! :) Sorry to hear that - such a bummer! I haven't searched for bubble gum dupe yet, but I def will in the next few days :)

CiCaDa said on May 22nd, 2009 6:37 am
Great!!!I'll be waiting for this! Thanks!

Ashlee said on Jun 4th, 2009 3:12 am
The MA @ sephora told me that there's a dupe for bubble gum from the sephora brand but I didn't bothered to check it out.. HTH

Steph said on Jun 4th, 2009 4:59 am
Thanks for the info Ashlee!! Hi CiCaDa, After searching through my Sephora by OPI's, I found two possible close alternatives. Bubble Gum is a mix between Sephora's I'm Wired and Lost without my GPS. Since Bubble Gum has that subtle shimmer, neither one are exact dupes. I'm Wired is more pink and Lost without my GPS more orange when compared to Bubble Gum.

jess said on Oct 22nd, 2009 6:05 pm
Oh geez, a bit delayed (I blame the differences in our seasons/weather!) but boyyyy do I loooooveeee the Sweet Orange! I wish I could get my hands on it somehow in Australia but Sephora doesn\'t ship here and even if they did, they are out of stock, anyway ): Lucky girl!

JuliaEvelina said on Jan 22nd, 2010 6:57 am
It's awsome the Sweet Orange & the Bubble Gum colors... those are a MUST... who knows what are the numbers of this colors?

Comments