Friday, May 29th, 2009

OPI Jumps on the Matte Bandwagon this Fall

OPI Matte Collection

OPI Matte is cutting edge for nails in terms of sophistication and style,” says Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI executive vice president and artistic director. “An all-matte nail is fresh, confident, and very fashion runway, and OPI Matte is meant for those moments when you want to make a major fashion statement.OPI Matte does not wear as long as original OPI Nail Lacquer – but its impact is long remembered!”

I'm sure most of you already heard about OPI's newest matte collection slated this Fall. To my undertstanding, OPI is releasing six duo shades, available in two finishes: matte and glossy - take your pick!  All six shades are standard OPI colors that are readily available, not new ones.

Alpine Snow - french white creme, You don't know Jacques - mushrooom taupey creme, Russian Navy - Navy blue shimmer, La Paz-itively Hot - hot pink creme, Lincolon Park after Dark - midnight purple and Gargantuan Grape - greenish yellow lime.

The Matte collection will be available beginning July 1st. In the meantime, here's a few examples that I added a matte topcoat, just to give us an idea.

Note: these are not actual OPI matte shades. Just recreations using a matte topcoat. In most cases, Matte shades usually aren't the same as topcoats.

Check out the swatches.

Russian Navy with Matte Topcoat

OPI Alpine Snow with matte topcoat

OPI You don't know Jacques with matte topcoat

OPI you don't know Jacques matte

The Matte collection will be available starting July 1st. Check out the official swatches and review.

Tags: opi, fall, collection, matte, nail polish, beauty, swatches, news, color story

Posted by Steph at 09:03:am
views / 15 comments

styrch said on May 29th, 2009 9:53 am
YDKJ is so strange - the more "ugly" you make it the better it looks. I think I may like this one better as a matte shade than glossy. Quite frankly I still don't "get" the matte craze. But I'm open minded!

Laine said on May 29th, 2009 10:26 am
I have Lincoln Park after Dark and Gargantuan Green Grape and am really curious to see how they do in a matte form. I gotta get me a matte topcoat. Nice swatches!

ainsleigh said on May 29th, 2009 1:01 am
I'm so excited for this collection! You used two of the shades (navy and jacques) I plan on buying! Which matte top coat did you use here? Thanks :)

domineque said on May 29th, 2009 1:58 am
Great recreation!!!! I bet you'll buy them all anyway lol.

RoseWood69 said on May 29th, 2009 3:40 am
wow - the white really pops and looks so clean against the model's skintone - fab. I will definately try this if I can find it in the UK. The 'You Don't Know Jaque' is a great colour for work and looks great on model and other light tones but may be lost in darker tones.

D:) said on May 29th, 2009 6:46 am
Which top coat did you use? I'm trying to figure out which one to buy. I bought Orly Matte Top and I'm not happy w/ it (it gives more of a satin finish rather than a truly light absorbing matte finish).

kisskiss98 said on May 29th, 2009 9:29 am
I almost bought Russian Navy today. I didn't b/c I thought it was too dark n blue wouldn't show up. The Matte look makes it better! I can't wait until July 1st! (BTW, I ended up buying Done Out in Deco, Green-wich Village, No Room for the Blues, and My Private Jet!) I love your color swatches!!!!

Kasey said on May 30th, 2009 1:15 am
Awesome pictures/recreations! Can't wait for the collection to be released

Lucy said on May 30th, 2009 5:41 am
Can't wait to get my hands on these. They looks so pretty on you. I think the matte makes them look so different. I hope they wear well. No topcoat makes me a bit nervous.

Steph said on May 30th, 2009 10:16 am
Hi Styrch - I really liked the matte version YDKJ too! Can't wait to see how OPI's version :) Hi Laine - I totally agree! Thanks :) Hi Ainsleigh - Me too! I used Maybelline's Matte Maker, it's a discontinued product, but you can still find them at Dollar Tree's. Thanks Dominque - Thanks! You know it! LOL Hi Rosewood69 - I really loved You Don't Know Jacques too! :)

Steph said on May 30th, 2009 10:25 am
Hi D - I used Maybelline's Matte Maker. It's discontinued, but you can still find them at Dollar Tree's. I haven't tried Orly's or OPI's, so I'm not sure how they compare. :) Hi KissKiss - Oooh, great choices!! Russian Navy looks super hot! Can't wait until the Matte's come out :) Hi Kasey - Me too! Thanks so much! Hi Lucy - me either! Matte totally transforms a nail polish color. I'm not sure about OPI's yet, but Knockout's has amazing staying power without a topcoat. :)

Mimi said on Jun 2nd, 2009 6:36 am
Hey, If you could do a feature on Matte top coats, that would be great, kinda like a cheaper way to do matte nails...

Steph said on Jun 4th, 2009 9:04 am
Hi Mimi, You must have been reading my mind! I'll def being doing a matte topcoat post soon! :)

Ashley said on Aug 22nd, 2009 2:43 pm
Where can you FIND these nail polishes? I've looked everywhere and no where is carrying the OPI matte collection. They all have the classic versions of russian navy and linkin park after dark (the two colors i like) but i can not find the matte versions anywhere! Help?

gaby said on Aug 23rd, 2009 1:17 am