Sunday, August 9th, 2009

Sephora by OPI Matte Nail Colour Collection

Sephora by OPI Matte nail polish

Happy Sunday! Hope your having a fantabulous weekend! Are you ready for some Mattene this week, Diva's? I have a few collections to show you, starting off with Sephora's newest one.

This Fall, Sephora introduces a limited edition collection of fashion forward, matte nail colours available in three of Sephora by OPI's most popular shades.

Matte Finishes may not be for everyone, especially die hard glossy lovers. It's trendy and gives us Manicure Mavens an alternative to shiny polish. But until the formula is perfected, I don't think this fad will be catching on quite yet...we'll see!

Before I get to the goodies, let's talk about application and formula. Like most non glossy nail polishes these are fast drying, which might usher problems when applying mattes all together.

On all my swatches I used three thin coats. But I've found applying thicker coats may deliver a smoother application with less stroke lines.

Shall we check out the swatches?

Sephora by OPI Domestic Goddess matte

Sephora by OPI matte collection swatches

Domestic Goddess, a flatte vibrant purple grape matte.

Sephora by OPI Metro Chic matte nail polish

Sephora by OPI Matte collection

Metro Chic, a flatte smokey brown, gray, purple, muddy matte.

Sephora by OPI What's a tire jack matte

Sephora by OPI matte nail colour collection

I'm excited to add another flatte black to my collection. What's a Tire Jack, a flatte jet black matte. I really loved this one, not as dull as the other two.

The matte collection is now available online at Sephora for a limited time and retails for $9.00/ea. What do you guys think? Love or hate the Matte trend?

Lindsey said on Aug 9th, 2009 6:00 pm
Matte polishes aren't for me, I like creme polishes the best, and I love the glossy topcoat.

Selina said on Aug 9th, 2009 6:16 pm
I just can't get on board with the matte trend, it really doesn't rock my boat. I like my glossy nails, the most matte I'll go is a satin finish. To me the mattes make nails look like they've been dipped in a can of house paint.

Jessie said on Aug 9th, 2009 8:30 pm
LOVE IT!! Perfect way to be FALL-trendy on limited budget. Thanks for the awesome pics!

Steff said on Aug 9th, 2009 9:28 pm
I like the matte trend, but definitely not enough to invest in several different matte polishes. I was disappointed with the OPI Matte collection (except Russian Navy and La Paz-ivitely Hot), and this Sephora by OPI collection is a little disappointing, too. I think Zoya's matte collection has been the best so far. The flat, chalky look just doesn't do it for me; Zoya's addition of shimmer really hit the mark. I'm thinking that I'm just going to get Essie's Matte About You when I can find it at Ulta and leave it at that :D

crotchfairy said on Aug 9th, 2009 9:33 pm
I'm mostly interested in the black one. Is the finish powdery like KO's?

Jennifer A. said on Aug 10th, 2009 2:20 am
Would you mind doing a side by side comparison with the originals? Metro Chic looks lighter and more taupe than the original. Thanks!

nihrida said on Aug 10th, 2009 2:42 am
I love them all. They look great on you!

Julie said on Aug 10th, 2009 8:28 am
As much as I have tried to have an open mind, matte is just not cutting it for nail fun! Guess I am just an 'ole glossy girl!!

Judy said on Aug 10th, 2009 9:43 am
I really love the color of Domestic Goddess, but I'd rather use a matte top coat over a nail polish than buy new matte nail polishes. I'm still unsure about the trend, but I do like to play around with the matte top coat (I use Essie Matte About You $10)

Kerriann said on Aug 11th, 2009 2:34 am
Matte is AWESOME, but I'm definitely going to stick to using a matte topcoat (Essie's Matte About You is the best), instead of buying the matte versions of polishes I already have. However, Nubar's matte collection is totally worth it! The most STUNNING mattes; they have such depth, even for mattes! And with a glossy topcoat?! SOOOO gorgeous.

Lucy said on Aug 11th, 2009 5:11 am
These have me really excited! I love all three colors. The Domestic Goddess is my favorite. I'm going to get all threeof these.

Steph said on Aug 11th, 2009 3:31 pm
Hi Lindsey, I completely understand! it's hard adjusting to a non glossy polish! :) Hi Selina, The Satin textures are really nice, more so than a flatte chalky look :) I hope we see more Satins in the future. Hi Jesse, Thanks so much! Hi Steff, I totally agree! I'm not 100% convinced on the Flatte, chalky look..but do love me some Matte Shimmers. Along with Zoya, Nubar also makes a really nice matte collection. I should have some swatches up this week :) Hi Crotchfairy, What's a tire Jack is one of my favorites from this collection. I haven't compared them yet, but I'm thinking they may be close. I'll post comparisons soon :) Hi Jennifer, All I have is Metro Chic from Sephora's core line, but I'll def post comparisons soon :)

Steph said on Aug 11th, 2009 5:26 pm
Hi nihrida, Thanks so much!! :) Hi Julie, That's OK doll, Glossy still rocks my boat! :) Hi Judy, You can't go wrong with a matte top coat..! :) Essie and nubar has excellent ones! Hi Kerriann, Matte top coats are the best thing since, Matte! Besides Essie, Nubar also makes a really good one...! Zoya's and Nubar's are my favorite matte collections! I should have some Nubar swatches this week! :) Hi Lucy, Awesome! :) Domestic Goddness is really pretty!

Katie said on Aug 14th, 2009 4:42 pm
I absolutely adore all of these! I think Sephora's matte black is my fave so far. Can't wait to get my hands on them along with Essie's Matte about you. Love this matte trend,hopefully it doesn't go away too soon. I wonder how Orly's collection of mattes will compare. Today I found three old Maybelline Matte polishes at my dollar store and they look very cool.

Comments