Saturday, December 5th, 2009

The New Face of Sally Hansen Salon

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure

Product: Sally Hansen, Complete Salon Manicure Nail Lacquer 0.5 oz
Price: $6.50 - $7.99/ea
Steph's Rating: 3.8 Kisses
Buy it: Walmart, CVS, Walgreens

At the Tracy Reese S/S '10 Fashion Show back in September, Sally Hansen unveiled a new line of nail lacquers to replace the Salon brand called Complete Salon Manicure. While the Tracy Reese Collection isn't officially due out until next Spring, 42 core line hues are introduced this Winter.

Before I get to the details, let's take a jump to one my faves.

Sally Hansen Commander in Chic Nail Polish

Sally Hansen Commander Chic Nail Polish

One of the standout colors from the new Salon line, Commander in Chic. A creamy mixture of Taupe, Grey and Brown that resembles our loved, Metro Chic.

Taupe Brown Comparisons

Not only are their names alike, they share a sisterly kind of relationship. Commander in Chic is a just a teensy bit darker compared to Metro Chic.

Sally Hansen Brush Comparisons

The biggest change I've noticed is the application brush. It's somewhat tapered like the Insta Dri polishes, but not as wide and a little easier to navigate on your nails.

Another difference, the bottle redesign. It's square on the bottom and more rounded near the top with a small rubberized ring around the cap. I'm not too crazy about the shape, but the added rubber ring is a nice touch.

Final Thoughts, I'm not completely sold. Along with the new face is a hefty price tag from $6.50 to $7.99 a pop, depending on the store. The application brush may be a disadvantage to some, especially if you like a flat style. The Upside: A great selection of base colors that range from sheers to vampy. Improved 5 in 1 formula includes: base coat, strengthener, grow treatment, color and top coat. The wear is incredible! You can actually skip the base coat on lighter shades, but I wouldn't recommend it for the darker ones. If you have any problems slow with drying times, seal with a fast dry top coat.

Check out the standard colors below.

Sally Hansen Salon Color Chart

Side Note: Please use the color chart as a reference only, swatches (above) may not be accurate.

Have you tried the new Complete Salon Manicure line? I would love to hear what you think!

Looking for more Sally Hansen colors? Check out Lavender Cloud.

Lizzy said on Dec 6th, 2009 12:36 am
Got this exact color today! I love it! The brush is a little funky to me, but I'm not really used to the flatter brushes. Overall, I think it's pretty good and would recommend it!

Steph said on Dec 12th, 2009 12:45 pm
Hi Lizzy,
Awesome! I really love Commander in Chic too, it's very flattering. Did you pick up any other shades?

Susie said on Dec 6th, 2009 4:23 am
I'm loving the photos. Keep them coming. :) Susie

Katy said on Dec 6th, 2009 6:07 am
Just saw these at my local Walmart. They've only put them into a hanging cardboard display that is located at the corner of an end cap. Going back this morning specifically to buy these!!

Steph said on Dec 12th, 2009 12:46 pm
Hi Katy,
Great! Let us know what you think :)

lechelady said on Dec 6th, 2009 9:22 pm
I bought the Black Platinum at the CVS down the street from me. I loved it. I wore it for 5 days before it started chipping. For the price, it's well worth is. I've tried tons of other polishes and everything chips on me in a day.

Steph said on Dec 12th, 2009 12:49 pm
Hi Lechelady,
5 days with no chipping, we have a keeper! That's wonderful! Did you pick up any other colors?

Kim said on May 4th, 2011 9:06 am
Hi Steph, 5 days, and still counting, and no chips yet! Fantastic! I'm wearing Pink Slip. And I have Naked Ambition too. This one has a faint sparkly affect. Very pretty. This is a great product.

Jackie said on Dec 7th, 2009 12:32 pm
The bottle shape looks like the Zoya bottles. Love the color, I'll definitely check these out at my local Walmart. Keep the swatches coming! :)

beth said on Dec 7th, 2009 12:36 pm
I think these "5-in-1" type polishes are kind of a sham. The darker colors still stain your nails if you don't apply a base coat underneath and what polish doesn't benefit from a nice shiny top coat? I don't think they actually work any differently than normal polish.

val said on Dec 19th, 2009 5:48 pm
I agree, beth. I bought angel wings, which has some type of glitter in it. It needs a topcoat to look shiny. I am not impressed with the texture, hate the brush, but the color is amazing. Revlon or L'oreal polish is better,though. I thought I could skip base and top coats, but looks as thought they will be needed.

Chip said on Dec 8th, 2009 10:19 pm
Hope you review more colors from the new line.

Steph said on Dec 12th, 2009 12:52 pm
Hi Chip,
Yes, Definitely! Stay Tuned :)

Lucy said on Dec 10th, 2009 4:30 pm
I love to buy new polish but the price is ridiculous! I know I can buy the "good brands" much cheaper. This really is so close to Metro Chic which I have.

Steph said on Dec 12th, 2009 12:55 pm
Hi Lucy Darlin,
Yep, I feel ya! Definitely not budget friendly, especially if you wanted to purchase a few colors.

karen said on Dec 18th, 2009 2:49 pm
I love your site! I'm a nail tech and have to say that the polish colors are very rich and the brush is awesome. I paid $7.49 at Walgreens and hated spending that much (didn't know I could get them at Wal-Mart. Will try there!) So far, I think it's "good stuff." Will wait to see how well it lasts on the nails.

MamaTwana said on Dec 27th, 2009 1:49 am
I bought the commander in Chic and Plumbs the word and I really like both! The brush doesnt bother me but it smells soooo weird.

Andrea said on Dec 27th, 2009 9:21 pm
I bought Black Platinum and Calypso blue just today they have Bogo this week in walgreens (well at least in the caribbean) and I love them!!!

Becky in Chicago said on Dec 29th, 2009 2:34 am
Just picked up 4 of these today, the clear, the polar bare, raisin the bar, and the Midnight in NY. Love the Brush, you can get a better coat faster before it is dry. Loving the Midnight in NY, and the Raisin the Bar. Clear is pretty much what I expected. I am going to return the polar bare for a different color. It's to sheer for my taste. Still haven't decided what other color I want.

k said on Jan 1st, 2010 4:43 am
I just bought this in Nude Now. I only put on one coat. It turned out great. I can't wait to go get other colors. Also did my nails square because yours look so good.

cc said on Jan 1st, 2010 9:25 pm
It took a minute to become comfortable with the brush. It does seem extra wide. I happened to pick up plum luck at Walgreens this week and noticed they had BOGO free. So I got Commander in Chic too. I haven't used CIC yet, but I do like the depth and coverage of color of plum luck.

Maria said on Jan 5th, 2010 10:43 pm
I just bought Commander in Chic today. I was surprised at the price, but I decided to get it anyways. Glad I did, I love the color, and I find the brush easier for me to use without making such a mess. I would probably buy a few more, since there are a lot of nice colors.

Suzanne said on Jan 8th, 2010 6:35 pm
Just got Plums the Word...color is great, good coverage....HATE the brush. Will not buy again due to the shape of the brush.

Jennifer said on Jan 8th, 2010 9:04 pm
I bought Fairy Teal today at WallyWorld. I love the color, and I love the brush. I am horrible at painting my nails usually, but this wide brush totally let me get a nice coat on before pieces of it started to dry and clump. Except for the price, I would buy the whole darn line. Does anyone know of any other polishes with brushes like this???

Steph said on Jan 8th, 2010 9:27 pm
Hi Jennifer,
Great choice, Fairy Teal is gorg! Rimmel just came out with a new line called Lasting Finish Pro and the brushes are similar to Sally's new salon. Here's a link to one of new colors: http://www.stephscloset.com/blog/gallery/id/3894/rimmel-marine-blue-nail-polish/

Ostrich said on Jan 11th, 2010 6:44 pm
How do the strengthener and groth thing work?

Janah said on Jan 17th, 2010 8:20 pm
The brush is what made me buy this stuff. It is fantastic! I have always hated painting my nails, but this brush made the experience much much much, like completely and utterly, WAY better!

Michelle said on Jan 18th, 2010 4:17 pm
Thanks for reviewing.. I love love love this polish. Everything else chips or peels on me in less than a day, but not this! Been wearing them up to 4 days with out chipping. I am applying Poshe top coat as well just to add more shine.

Jeni said on Jan 31st, 2010 4:13 am
I just bought Right Said Red today.. I just put on my second coat- it definitely needed a second coat- might just go for a 3rd to see how that goes... Anyways, I LOVE the brush... it made it so my clumsy butt could actually paint my nails without getting nail polish all over myself, lol... I am curious as to how the 5 in 1 thing is going to work out- the strengthener and also to help grow. I will buy more colors if it doesn't chip like in the next day or so...too bad they are soooo expensive. The only downfall so far really.

Ellen said on Feb 3rd, 2010 9:49 pm
bought cic today - darker on me than your photos looked on my computer. But a nice change from my usual mannequin nails & mauves. Just discovered nail polish blogs & am getting inspired to try other colors! Have bought a green but need to dig out a different purse first because my day use one would match my nails - not a look I think would work for me!

Julie said on Feb 25th, 2010 2:18 pm
Purchased this in Stop & Shop for $7.99....price doesn't bother me since I'm use to buying OPI. What attracted me was the 5 in 1 and wanted to try the new brush. Just applied 2 coats and LOVE the brush and can't wait to see how long before chipping, cause even OPI seems to chip on me after a couple days!!! I bought the Cafe Au Lait a nice neutral color, but want to go back for more colors :)

Julie said on Feb 25th, 2010 2:41 pm
Also, want to add that this polish dries really fast....another plus for it :)

vicki said on Feb 28th, 2010 12:39 am
The price is pretty steep for a sally hansen product so that is what has been keeping me from buying it..however I finally gave in and purchased \"I pink I can\" last night. I am completely disappointed. I used a base coat because I didn\'t want the color to stain. The color turned out chunky and thick, and this new brush is ridiculous. It\'s to big for my nails and gets polish all over my skin :( I\'d rather spend this much on opi or china glaze.. I polish that doesn\'t disapoint.

Sarah said on Mar 7th, 2010 10:06 pm
I used to be a strictly OPI girl but when I went shopping for a new spring shade and the selection where I went was picked over I took a chance and tried this in Shell We Dance. The application was easy with the brush reminding me of the Pro Wide style OPI uses. Also the wear is very long lasting and keeps my super thin and brittle nails from breaking and peeling. At a few dollars more than OPI per bottle...I\'m sold!

TNicole said on Mar 8th, 2010 1:21 pm
I tried the "Thinking of Blue" color last night and was very impressed with the wide applicator brush. I actually like it better becuase it provides full coverage. The color is vibrant and funky. I absolutely love the shades. I think that this new line will give Opi a run for its money and I'm an avid Opi girl. However, change can be good. : )

Anne said on Mar 12th, 2010 6:58 pm
Love love love your blog Steph! I just recently stumbled upon it when I googled Sally's new polish line. So far since purchasing my first bottle (comander in chic) I have returned to buy 5 more bottles... Seriously has to be the best new nail polish line out there. Top colors for me are Commander in Chic, Grey by Grey, Plum Luck, Lavender Cloud and Pat on The Black. At this speed I think Ill own them all by the end of the month! :)

Becca19 said on Mar 19th, 2010 11:06 pm
just bought the Fairy Teal since it's one of the hot colors of spring 2010. LOVE it!! Going to buy the Commander in Chic tomorrow =)

albeli said on Mar 22nd, 2010 9:07 am
I just applied Plum's the word yesterday. I already have chips! All I've done is put hot rollers in my hair. I shouldn't have chips from that. I won't be purchasing SH polish again.

John Hudelson said on Apr 19th, 2010 9:15 am
A different opinion: I as a man can vouch for the durability of the product. I used Platinum Black (340). I did take the time to allow the polish to dry and harden before doing the following: I had to service the insides of a gas tank in a car. To do it, I had to lower the exhaust system and the rear axle before lowering the tank and opening it up. Then I put the car back together. Surprisingly enough all the polish needed were minor touch ups.

polly polish said on Apr 27th, 2010 9:09 pm
I have used the "Shell We Dance" color twice now. Absolutely great wear! Takes forever to chip. Also, with several coats this color is shear with a hint of pink which would make it a perfect base for adding white french tip paint to the tips of your nails. I haven;t tried that yet, but will soon. I haven't tried any of the other colors, but would love to find one that is a little less shear than this so I won't have to apply so many coats to get the desired look. Haven't used it long enough to know whether it helps strengthen my usually thin, flimsy, breakable nails...but will let you know in a month or two. I personally love the brush. It is wide enough to allow me to do the usual 3 stroke cover you see professionals use and it holds enough polish to allow you do paint 2 or 3 nails without re-dipping. All-in-all I am a FAN!

Ashley said on May 1st, 2010 10:22 am
I brought Peachy Keen, which is a nice beige color. But, this polish is not a fav of mine. I have to put on multiple coats just to not have a streaky finish. And when I put on multiple coats it takes forever for the polish to dry :-(

Fashion Ladder said on May 11th, 2010 2:37 pm
I looooove this shade. I bought it and just keep reapplying every time. Very similar to Chanel shade.

Amber said on May 17th, 2010 3:14 pm
I just discovered this polish the other day, and have already bought 4 colors. Love the brush, goes on easy, and stays on without chipping for a while!

Sarah said on May 31st, 2010 12:39 am
I absolutely love these polishes. Commander in Chic and Café au Lait are my new go-to polishes, but I also have Peachy Keen, Plum Luck, Lavender Cloud, Fairy Teal, Gray by Gray, Boca Mocha, Red Zin, & Pedal to the Medal. The prices were a bit excessive, but I got a nice Walmart gift card for graduation and think these are definitely worth it. The brush is great, application is, for the most part, and the colors are phenomenal. I get so many compliments, especially on the Commander.

Lindsay said on Oct 20th, 2010 1:37 am
This is by farrrr the best nail polish ever! Love all of the 5 steps in 1. I have pat on the black and it looks amazzing on. Definitely is a good long wearing nail polish too. I like how theres the strengthning ingredient mixed in cuz u don't find to many polishes out there that includes that in the color. Yes the price could be a little cheaper, but well worth it if your looking for a good brand. I've only had this shade on 2 weeks and must get at least 3 if not more compliments on the color everyday. If you love the darker shades like I do this is definitely the perfect fall/winter shade. Even though ill rock out all year round with darker colors. Plus Kim Kardashian is wearing the same shade right now that I saw in a magazine about new fall trends in nail polishes. If I had to say there was one downfall it would have to be that you really do need to still apply your top coat if your looking for that real shiny look like I do. Plan on buying more shades.

Brianna said on Apr 3rd, 2011 6:47 pm
I bought two colors yesterday. I got commander in chic and pat on the black. I put on commander in chic today and i love how it came out. The color is nice and it has a shine so I didnt need a top coat. I cant wait to see how long it lasts.

Bianca said on May 4th, 2011 9:31 pm
I started to buy this brand months ago and it's taking me a while to collect all 42 of them. everytime I go to the store, the clerk thinks im crazy for spending so much money on nail polishes, but for some reason, EVERY single shade I wear, I get compliments on it. And since I found out about this nail polish too late, I was wondering if there is any place or website where I can get the Fall 2010 collection and Spring 2010 Limited Edition shades?!

Jessica said on Jun 10th, 2011 12:35 pm
I bought a bottle of All Fired Up yesterday when i was looking for the "perfect summer red"...one with a slight orangy tint..and this one was just what i was looking for. Usually reds are thick and messy, but this was the perfect constistancy and went on sooo even. I love the wide brush because if manuevered in the right way, I was able to cover my entire nail in one stroke, so it was more even. you just have to press down a little more so you spread the bristles over the whole nails. It dried super fast for a red shade too! Two coats and it was perfect!

Comments