Sunday, August 1st, 2010

Dupe Alert: Chanel Jade Nail Polish

Milani Dress Maker Nail Polish

Milani Dress Maker Nail Polish

Milani's Haute Value Display consists of six limited edition, designer inspired nail lacquers including Dress Maker, a budget friendly version of the ultra-popular and sold out, Chanel Jade.

The term "High Value" doesn't even begin to describe this timeless piece... it's more like, deal of the century and Milani hit it spot on. If you've been following the Jade phenomena, then you might know it recently sold for over $200 on ebay, which makes this a super spectacular STEAL for those who missed out.

Dress Maker is a soft, mint green with subtle green shimmer. It applies semi sheer after the first coat, but smooths out evenly after three. Depending on the thickness of your application, you may need an additional layer to avoid VNL (visible nail line).

Check out the comparison below.

Chanel Jade Nail Polish Comparisons

Let me start by saying, after comparing Jade and Dress Maker in various types of lighting (sun, indirect, shade, and basically every light in my house) it's just too close to call, and honestly, I'm not in any position to state such a fact. But I will say, hells yeah Milani! I'm so excited I could cry!

Overall, If you missed out on Jade or just need a back up, run out and track this baby down! Milani hit this one out of the ball park, a grand slam!

Tips on where to buy: I have better luck tracking down Milani displays at CVS Pharmacy. Look up all the stores in your surrounding area, and once you locate a good one, stick with it. Check back once a week or twice a month for new stock.

Did you guys miss out on Chanel Jade? Are you planning to pick up Dress Maker? Have a wonderful night!

EDIT: Dress Maker is now available online at Milani Cosmetics.  Looking for Chanel dupes from Milani? Click here to check out four more!

kelliegonzo said on Aug 2nd, 2010 2:19 am
wow i was hoping this would be a dupe, now you've solidified it as one :) yay! i'm going to buy like 10 of these babies!

kberry said on Aug 3rd, 2010 1:12 am
Kellie, have you seen this for sale in Utah? If so, where? I would love to find it, but have not seen it yet. Thanks for the great pics Steph!

Steph said on Aug 9th, 2010 1:02 am
Hi kberry,
Dress Maker is available on MilaniCosmetics.com; most likely due from high demand :)

kelliegonzo said on Aug 25th, 2010 11:48 pm
hey kberry, no i haven't found it in utah. before i realized it was sold on their website, if found a friend to pick it up for me and send it my way :) sorry i didn't see your comment til now! glad steph answered!

Amanda said on Aug 2nd, 2010 2:24 am
I actually have this on right now! Loving this shade.

pretty said on Aug 2nd, 2010 2:39 am
omy goosh.. i love me some nail polish..i'm a crazy nail polish lady.... but i would never buy a nail polish that cost 200 dollars.. unless it will do my laundry/make me food.

but i will buy milani.. haha.. thanks for the heads up!

Katie said on Aug 2nd, 2010 3:00 am
you rock my world. now to track it down :)

Steph said on Aug 9th, 2010 1:05 am
Awww! If you haven't found it, try milanicosmetics.com

Hannah said on Aug 2nd, 2010 4:00 am
PLEASE tell me you're back to blogging more frequently! I've missed your more regular posts. :) I just finally found--and, of course, picked up--Dress Maker today. I'm ecstatic that it's a Jade dupe! Lovin' it!

Steph said on Aug 2nd, 2010 11:55 am
Hi Hannah,
Awwww, virtual hugs!! Yes, I'm definitely back! I have piles upon piles of blogging waiting for me. And, in mid Sept you'll start seeing a video entry once a week also.

That's so awesome you found Dress Maker! Great things come in small packages! :)

nihrida said on Aug 2nd, 2010 5:01 am
WOW! They're really exact dupes! Great comparison, Steph! :)

Steph said on Aug 9th, 2010 1:04 am

Laura @ Sawan-Heaven said on Aug 2nd, 2010 10:56 am
That is amazing! Gorgeous colors and thanks for the comparison. :o)

jamie said on Aug 2nd, 2010 12:40 pm
I'm not that psyched about picking up a Jade dupe years after the trend has passed. I mean, it's a pretty color, but I never NEEDED it in the first place. I have nothing against drug store polishes, but this "Haute Value" thing really turns me off to Milani. It's like designer impostor perfume or bootleg handbags - not for me. I'd rather have a real version of something in my budget.

Tiff said on Aug 2nd, 2010 2:06 pm
I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree kindly. After years? Trend Passed? Chanel started the trend last fall/winter '09 and other brands are just now starting to follow. mint green is in its prime years! with the economy on its way to a second depression everyone is looking for a deal (even celebrities)..and I'm grateful Steph searches dupes 4 us most bloggers don't.

Jamie said on Aug 2nd, 2010 3:19 pm
Okay - a year after the trend has passed. Chanel has put out at least 4 different polishes since then which would be more "on trend" than Jade. All I'm saying is, pretty much every line out there has a mint green these days. I'd rather give my $ to a brand that at least has their own take on it rather than one that just blatantly rips off other companies' ideas. I'm all for a good deal, but there's a difference between affordable polishes and knockoffs. I don't wear knockoff clothes and accessories and I won't wear knockoff nail polish, either.

Stella said on Aug 2nd, 2010 6:11 pm
Good for you! The rest of us will have fun with this new Milani, as $200 is not in MY budget. Thanks for the comparison, Steph!

Jamie said on Aug 2nd, 2010 7:06 pm
Wow, that's very mature of you, getting all snotty over nail polish. My comments were never intended as a slight against Steph. I love the swatches here, which is why I visit in the first place. My disappointment is in Milani, as a brand. I never said a $200 polish was in my budget. In fact it is not, but an $8 OPI or Essie is (or even a $2.99 Sally Hansen), and I'd rather have that than a knockoff.

Katy said on Aug 2nd, 2010 9:52 pm
She wasn't being snotty, she just disagreed with you. And a lot of cheaper companies have what are basically knock-offs. They most just don't make their names as obvious about it.

jkl said on Aug 3rd, 2010 1:02 am
JAMIE - I think you pretty much own the snottiness! "I don't buy knock-offs". IT'S FREAKIN' NAIL POLISH! Who gives a $@#! whether it's Chanel or some cheap one. Plus the Chanel's sold out; so for those of us who wish we had it, Steph did an awesome job finding a perfect match- THANKS STEPH!!

LucidBubble said on Aug 4th, 2010 6:06 am
Actually Chanel didn't pioneer the mint trend. There were mints out before Chanel Jade. One example - OPI Hey Get in Lime came out in 2006.

Ebru said on Aug 2nd, 2010 12:50 pm
Oooh that's very pretty and both colors look exactly the same! Milani continues to surprise! :)

Virginia said on Aug 2nd, 2010 1:38 pm
Thanks for your comparison! Jade never wowed me, and I guess that's why Milani's didn't wow me when I saw it in the store the other day. lol. I'll take a look again, but I'm really just waiting for the Bare collection to pop up.

Steph said on Aug 2nd, 2010 6:11 pm
Hi Virgina,
Oh yes, the Bare it All Collection is another fab release from Milani with two Chanel dupe-y colors as well!! Shhhh... you didn't hear that from me! :)

Virginia said on Aug 3rd, 2010 12:41 pm
Yes! I was thinking Teddy Bare looked like Particuliere.

Liz said on Aug 2nd, 2010 7:15 pm
Hey Steph! I know your in my area abouts and I was wondering if you know of any CVS's that are good? Thanks, your site and Photo Gallery r the bomb!

Steph said on Aug 2nd, 2010 7:54 pm
Hi Liz,
Thanks so much! If your in the Cincinnati, Ohio area check out CVS on Five Mile Road by Beechmont!

Julie said on Aug 2nd, 2010 7:26 pm
Great review! Thanks Stephanie for the heads up!

Katy said on Aug 2nd, 2010 9:56 pm
The color is suddenly a lot more attractive to me.

katie said on Aug 3rd, 2010 8:38 pm
Thanks for the information! I'm going to try track this down. Now, if only they could make a dupe for Chanel Nouvelle Vague...

Elena said on Aug 5th, 2010 3:26 am
Try Diamond Cosmetics' Oh Tiff. It's almost a perfect match and it only costs $2.25.

Tasha said on Aug 3rd, 2010 11:45 pm
OMG Where do they sell this in Canada????? Help Please!!!

Steph said on Aug 9th, 2010 1:09 am
Hi Tasha,
I'm not sure if Milani ships international or not, but Dress Maker is available at Milanicosmetics.com.

Jackie S. said on Aug 6th, 2010 12:58 pm
Great post, now everyone will be running to the drugstore to grab this beauty!

Tayyi said on Aug 7th, 2010 6:25 pm
Did you check Milani One of a Kind? It looks like black but it is actually very dark green. I don\'t have Zulu but it might be a dupe of that too.

Steph said on Aug 9th, 2010 1:11 am
Hi Tayyi,
Actually, a reader pointed that out the other day. I, indeed, thought it was black, went back and snatched it up :)

Michelle belle de jour said on Aug 8th, 2010 3:15 pm
I have been looking for a cheap version of Chanel's Jade for months and this one is the closest copy to it. My sis was one of the lucky ones who got Jade before it sold out on the website. Now, I can have my own Jade. Thanks :)

Tayyi said on Aug 9th, 2010 10:30 pm
Hi Steph, I finally had time to try One of a Kind. I posted some pictures in my website www.tayyibe.com/milani-one-of-a-kind. I think it is darker than Zulu but very similar...

tricia said on Aug 12th, 2010 2:19 pm
i placed my order from milanicosmetics.com on mon and i already received my order(thurs) and i paid for regular ground shipping $5. could you do swatches comparing particulere

LoMo said on Aug 12th, 2010 3:08 pm
So, I bought two bottles of this the other day and I had a nightmare of a time trying to apply it smoothly. If I managed to get it applied it took three coats and didn't fully dry for like 3 hours, meaning I kept ruining my nails and having to redo them. How did you get it to apply so nicely?

amy said on Aug 25th, 2010 9:41 pm
I was wondering if you could PLEASE compare Milani's Teddy Bare to Chanel's Particuliere????

Steph said on Aug 25th, 2010 10:20 pm
Hi Amy,
You must be reading my mind!! LOL! I have a post coming up with four of the Milani dupes (excluding this one) comparing to Chanel :)

kelliegonzo said on Aug 25th, 2010 11:52 pm
yay! can't wait!

SephoraMac said on Aug 27th, 2010 3:53 am
Another great alternative for Milani's DressMaker/Chanel Jade is Jordana's "Mint Candy". I just ordered it from cherryculture.com and there it was for 1.49. Or you can purchase it straight off Jordana's website for the same price. They are exactly the same. Except Jordana is even cheaper!! :) I think Jordana and Milani are owned by the same company.

Comments