Wednesday, September 15th, 2010

Nail Art Wednesdays: Hot Pink Leopard

Leoprad Cheetah Nail Art Supplies

I'm kicking off this day with a fun new series called, Nail Art Wednesdays! Each week a freehand design (no templates required!) will be featured in which the inspiration is drawn from items in my closet.

Today I'm starting with a simple, but sexy Leopard print. Before we begin, I recommend anyone that's interested to practice on a sheet of paper until you've somewhat mastered the technique. You can also purchase a mannequin hand at Sally Beauty or the e-tailers for more hands on experience.

Supplies used: Nubar Sensual Red, Orly Blushing Bud, Acrylic Paint and a fine detailed nail art brush.

Orly Blushing Bud Nail Polish

STEP 1:  After applying a base coat or ridge filler, start with a Hot Pink polish such as Orly Blushing Bud or a similar color. Paint two coats on each nail and let dry.

Remember, you don't necessarily have to use a red/pink combo. Mix it up, try any two colors!

Orly Blushing Bud and Nubar Sensual Red

STEP 2:  Using Nubar Sensual Red (or any opaque red) make four or five random spots with the nail polish brush. If the red doesn't stand out as much as you like, repeat this process for a deeper color.

Cheetah and Leopard Nail Art

STEP 3:  Now it's time to bring this feline frenzy creation to life. Take a fine detailed brush (lip liner, nail art deco, or paint brush will do) dip it into black acrylic paint or nail polish and outline the spots you've created. Let dry before finishing with a top coat.

Be creative; make your lines wavy and messy!

Finished Product: Leopard Nail Art

STEP 4:  Finish with a glossy top coat and you're done!

I hope you've enjoyed my first Nail Art Wednesday! Do you think I nailed the design? What would you like to see for next week?

Now that you've seen the Leopard, are you ready for Zebra Bling?

Dolly said on Sep 15th, 2010 10:16 am
Meoowwww! That's Hot!

Jennifer said on Sep 15th, 2010 1:14 pm
I'm happy to find out you're doing nail art Wednesdays, especially because it's done on short nails. I see lots of nail art tutorials for super long nails but typically those don't work well on my short nails. So, Thank you!!!

Steph said on Sep 20th, 2010 1:04 pm
Hi Jennifer,
Thank You! And I totally agree about the short nails thing :)

KT said on Sep 15th, 2010 1:18 pm
I LOVE this, but I know I wouldn't be able to paint the black lines on my dominant hand!

Steph said on Sep 20th, 2010 1:05 pm
Hi KT,
practice, practice, practice LOL! I think you could do it :)

Sandy said on Sep 15th, 2010 2:58 pm
Purrrrrfeccct-o! Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to your nail art tutorials - looks fairly easy but for me by the time I finished, I'd probably look like a Leopard all over - LOL!

ilectra said on Sep 15th, 2010 3:05 pm
Oh my, Love this so much, you did an amazing job..

Francheska said on Sep 16th, 2010 12:12 am
I LOVE This! I've been looking for a site to show me this. Awesome!

Feline said on Sep 16th, 2010 3:21 am
Ooh, you're tempting me to try this out!

Steph said on Sep 20th, 2010 1:06 pm
Hi Feline,
You should! It's super easy!

Jenni said on Sep 16th, 2010 9:41 am
Excellent tutorial. I hate video ones. Takes far too long. This is the best leopard I've seen.

amanda said on Sep 16th, 2010 11:31 pm
i agree with jennifer, francheska, and jenni. they all made valid points. it's hard to find nail bloggers who offer photo tutorials (video ones are time consuming and they tend to choose ridiculous music) that are adaptable for people with short nails. so thank you!

Arrianne said on Sep 17th, 2010 1:56 pm
I love it! I love anything you do though.

Steph said on Sep 20th, 2010 1:07 pm
Awww!! :)

Alison said on Sep 18th, 2010 2:58 am
Sooooo cute! I love the idea of Nail Art Wednesdays. I can't wait to see more!!!

Bogejj said on Dec 17th, 2010 12:03 pm
Thanks for the how to :) it helped so much! i made it in gold-brown

Paula said on Nov 11th, 2011 2:37 pm
I also made it in golden beige : http://p-manicure.blogspot.com/2011/11/blog-post_11.html

Amanda said on Feb 25th, 2012 8:02 pm
WOW! You make it seem so much more simpler than all the videos do. Thanks so much....it really helped me do my nails.

Comments