Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010

Nail Art Wednesdays: Blinged Out Zebra

Zebra Nail Art Tutorial

Continuing with the Safari Jungle theme, today's Nail Art Wednesday is all about bling and Zebra Nails. If you missed last week's Hot Pink Leopard tutorial, click here to check it out.

Zebra Stripes are a lot like Tiger Stripes. They tend to be more defined and elongated; but all in all, both designs are nearly identical. Next week I'll be sharing a few of my favorite Tiger designs.

Supplies Used: Nubar Foundation (base), Nubar Diamont (top), Nox Twilight Disco Darling, Acrylic Paint and a detailed Nail Art Brush. On the black and white design below, Rescue Beauty Lounge Underwear.

Detailed Nail Art Brushes

Because it's important, let's take a brief second to discuss nail art brushes. Good brushes DO matter and they make a world of difference in most cases.

Pictured above is three different brushes. The one on the right is from Debra Lynn; it's a typical brush you'll find in a nail art set at Sally Beauty. The other two were purchased from Michael's in the art section. Instantly, you will notice a difference of thickness between each brush.

If you have gorgeous long nails, Debra Lynn's nail art brushes will work nicely. If you don't, I encourage everyone to make a trip to Michael's and pick out a very thin detailed brush. This is a must have for short nails and small beds.

Are you ready for some Zebra Nails?

Nox Twilight Disco Darling

STEP 1:  After protecting your nails with a base coat or ridge filler, apply a desired base color and let dry.

If you want to avoid glitter polish, a holographic finish works just as well. Or, you can go with the traditional black and white print (scroll down to see pic).

Zebra Nail Art Tutorial

STEP 2:  Start with a pattern. After practicing and practicing I realized it's much easier beginning with a sequence. Plus, it keeps the design consistent if that's what you're looking for.

Turn your nails sideways, take a nail art brush dipped in paint or polish and draw a curved shaped "V" (like shown from above). Let Dry.

Just remember, when you add more wavy lines to keep the same "V" motion going throughout the design. You can also try a "Z" pattern for the same effect.

Zebra Nail Art Black and Silver

Up close picture before adding a top coat.

Silver and Black Zebra Nail Art

STEP 3: You're just about finished! Top with a glossy top coat and that's it! How easy was that?

Black and White Zebra Nail Art

I really love the classic Black and White Print; it clearly speaks. Zexyyyy!

Would you try this type of design? It may look a little confusing at first; trust me, after you get the pattern down it's easy as cake!

Tip: Invest in a small detailed art brush. I'm telling ya that's the key! Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

Gayle said on Sep 22nd, 2010 10:23 pm
Steph, you are THE BEST at free hand nail art. Yours always look konad-perfect!!

Bella said on Sep 22nd, 2010 11:08 pm
I totally agree with Gayle, your designs are killer and I look forward to them every Wednesday!!

I never looked at the Zebra design as a pattern and let me tell you this helps me out sooo much!! Thank you!!

Jenni said on Sep 23rd, 2010 10:29 am
I must do this. I can do this. I WILL do this. Thank you.

Sandy said on Sep 23rd, 2010 2:31 pm
You always do the cutest designs and the really do look easy! I so look forward to this post every Wednesday! Thank you!

Sabrina- Positively Polished said on Sep 23rd, 2010 6:36 pm
I MISS YOUR POSTS! PLEASE START POSTING LIKE EVERY DAY! You are my favorite blogger!

Mary said on Sep 23rd, 2010 9:00 pm
You make it look way too easy! Hehe...I totally want to have zebra-print nails that look as cute as yours. Maybe I'll try it. Need to hit the craft store for brushes first. Thanks for the inspiration, Steph!

mochamishmash said on Sep 24th, 2010 7:11 pm
You make it look soo easy...looks stunning with both polishes!

shahzad said on Oct 4th, 2010 6:20 pm
yeah! thats really cool ! Thank You so much !!

glittergirley said on Feb 23rd, 2011 2:41 am
But how do you do paint with your non-dominant hand? I'm right handed and my left hand always ends up looking great buy my right hand is a shameful mess!

Morgan said on Feb 25th, 2011 5:52 pm
I have really little finger nails, would this still work??? p.s. your nails look great! hope I can do mine just as well...... :) <3

Steph said on Mar 2nd, 2011 9:46 am
Hi Morgan,
Absolutely!! The only thing I recommended is a fine detailed brush since you have little fingers :)

amberrr said on May 24th, 2011 10:43 pm
Just tried this, love it!!!

kelleigh said on Aug 18th, 2011 3:24 pm
I love yu!!!

Bailey Paige said on May 12th, 2012 3:15 pm
I did these black and pink and it worked great! Thank ya much Steph!

Taylor said on May 18th, 2012 12:03 pm
This is sooooooo CUTE! I tryed it and it turned out great!

Brianna said on Oct 3rd, 2012 9:24 pm
Wow! I'm in love with how pretty and simple this looks. Going to try it... Thanks! <3

Comments