Monday, October 11th, 2010

Mixed Metals Nail Art: The Easy Way

Kami Nail Art Foils

A couple months ago, before launching the Nail Art Wednesdays segment, I received a Kami Nail Art Catalog filled with all kinds of fun items. From Nail Art Lace, Decals, Glitter, Stickers, Foils, Nuggets, Gem, and Tools--just about everything peeked my attention at that point. But what I was mostly interested in was the Nail Art Foils and of course the Lace, which I'll be covering that next week.

Kami Nail Art Foils is a four step process to create a funky mixed metal look on your nails. Base Color, Adhesive, Foil, and Seal - it's that easy and you don't even need to be proficient with your non dominant hand. Today I'm going to discuss how simple it is to get this happening look.

Start with a Base Color

Step 1: Pick a base color, any color! In the picture above I used OPI Alpine Snow in a matte finish for no particular reason; the finish can be either matte or glossy.

Step 2 Ahesive Nail Glue

Step 2: Kami Nail Foil Adhesive ($2.50 for .5 oz). Not to be confused with Nail Glue, this is a translucent adhesive pretty much like Elmer's Glue. Infact, it smells just like it and comes off easily with any nail polish remover. Apply a thin layer of adhesive until it's slightly dry with a tacky surface.

TIP: This is the most important step for the foil to bond. Since the adhesive is a milky white color, you'll know as soon as it starts to dry.

Step 3 Apply the Foil to your nailsa

Step 3: Kami Nail Art Foils ($2.00 for 16 small strips). Start by placing the foil shiny side up (dull side down), press down using a dotting tool or your finger. Just remember, you don't need to hold the foil down for a long time, all it takes a quick second and you're done!

Step 4 finish with a top coat

Step 4: Finish with Kami Sealer ($2.50 for .5 oz) and a clear top coat. If you find the foil didn't properly stick, then something went wrong. Repeat Step 2 and try again.

Finished Product with hard candy ring

Finished product with a fun, Hard Candy Metallic ring!

Mixed Metals the easy way, without glue or any permanent damage done to your nails.  Kami Nail Art Products are available online at Nail Supplies Direct and retails between $2.00 - $2.50.

What do you guys think of the Mixed Metals look? Has anyone tried Kami Nail Foils or any other products?

Jaimie said on Oct 12th, 2010 1:21 am
I've recently found your blog in my search for my new nail polish obbession. It's a great blog and I love it. I like this look. It's really easy and something different than just the everyday polish. Jaimie

Steph said on Oct 12th, 2010 8:35 pm
Hi Jamie,
Welcome!! Thanks so much, I'm so glad you found me!! I really love this look too! Make sure you check out Photo Gallery, I try to update that almost everyday. xoxo!

Silvia said on Oct 12th, 2010 11:07 am
First of all. I love your posts! I was wondering what you thought about nail foils. I have a bunch from dollarnailart.com and they dont seem to last for more than 3-4 hrs! With a tc it seems to dim the minx like finish. Are these nail foils the same way or do they have more lasting power?

Steph said on Oct 12th, 2010 8:22 pm
Hi Silvia,
Thank you so much!! This being my first experience with foils, I was impressed how easy it was to accomplish a mixed metal look. However, I don't think these would be ideal for a full on foil manicure.

I've never ordered from Dollar Nail Art, but I've heard of them. Great Price! I'm assuming it's the same kind of process - adhesive, foil, and seal? With the Kami foils, the sealant did diminish the "minx" finish, but it still had a nice brushed metal look. As far as lasting power, I'm going on my second day and it's holding up pretty well with a coat of sealant and top coat over that. What kind of seal are you using?

When I was test running the wear time, I noticed it lasted much longer with a seal opposed to without. It kinda just wiped off my nails with all the naturals oils in my skin.

Silvia said on Oct 13th, 2010 11:30 am
I dont use a sealant. But I just read that I have to use a tc that isnt fast drying or super shine. Ill give it another go and see how it turns out. I do have about ten different designs to try out ;)

Vanessa said on Oct 12th, 2010 11:08 am
looks amazing!

Steph said on Oct 12th, 2010 8:30 pm
Thanks, Doll!

Feline said on Oct 12th, 2010 2:34 pm
You make every nailart situation look so easy! :D I envy your skills- I should practice to try to catch up! ;) <3

Steph said on Oct 12th, 2010 8:36 pm
Awww, Thanks!! Girl, it is easy! I promise!

nail glue said on Oct 13th, 2010 2:15 am
It's looking really amazing!

Elisha said on Oct 14th, 2010 10:59 pm
I love your blog and recently discovered it, i was wondering how often you change your nail polish because i was looking in your gallery and it look like you change it every day. Also Revlon has a color called minted i just got it and i was wondering if it compares to Chanel's Jade nail color. My Target dosent sell the Milani one so i cant get it, so if you could will you do a comparison?

Rima said on Dec 19th, 2010 2:10 pm
This is soo amazing :D I adore your website i never get my nails done unless I've visited your site first

Jess said on Feb 13th, 2011 8:31 am
I second that! I always look here before buying any polish.

Comments