Notice: Undefined index: HTTP_REFERER in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/config.php on line 48

Notice: Use of undefined constant ban_ip - assumed 'ban_ip' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/config.php on line 61

Notice: Undefined index: login_em in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/config.php on line 70

Notice: Use of undefined constant unsubscribe - assumed 'unsubscribe' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/config.php on line 91

Notice: Use of undefined constant unsubscribe - assumed 'unsubscribe' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/config.php on line 280

Notice: Undefined variable: year in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 7

Notice: Undefined variable: month in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 7

Notice: Use of undefined constant edit - assumed 'edit' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 45

Notice: Use of undefined constant blog_date - assumed 'blog_date' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 11

Notice: Use of undefined constant blog_date - assumed 'blog_date' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 12

Notice: Use of undefined constant blog_headline - assumed 'blog_headline' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 16

Notice: Use of undefined constant category_name - assumed 'category_name' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 18

Notice: Use of undefined constant blog_date - assumed 'blog_date' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 18

Notice: Use of undefined constant blog_date - assumed 'blog_date' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 19

Notice: Use of undefined constant reply - assumed 'reply' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 20

Notice: Undefined index: reply in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 20

Notice: Use of undefined constant edit - assumed 'edit' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 20

Notice: Use of undefined constant blog - assumed 'blog' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 20

Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 20

Notice: Undefined index: approve-comment in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 20

Notice: Undefined index: delete-comment in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 20

Notice: Undefined index: edit-comment in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 20

Notice: Use of undefined constant category_name - assumed 'category_name' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 24

Notice: Undefined variable: mid_admin in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 31

Notice: Undefined variable: mid_un in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 31

Notice: Undefined variable: edit_blog_link in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 61

Notice: Undefined variable: body in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 62

Notice: Undefined variable: month_number in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 91

Notice: Undefined variable: headline_fixed in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 92

Notice: Undefined variable: views in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/blog/show.tpl on line 125

Notice: Undefined variable: comment_block in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 2

Notice: Undefined index: approve-comment in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 58

Notice: Undefined index: unsubscribe in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 94

Notice: Undefined index: edit-comment in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 105

Notice: Undefined variable: mid_admin in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 377

Notice: Use of undefined constant comment_name - assumed 'comment_name' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 413

Notice: Undefined index: comment_name in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 413

Notice: Use of undefined constant comment_email - assumed 'comment_email' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 414

Notice: Undefined index: comment_email in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 414

Notice: Use of undefined constant comment_url - assumed 'comment_url' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 415

Notice: Undefined index: comment_url in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 415

Notice: Use of undefined constant comment_notify - assumed 'comment_notify' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 417

Notice: Undefined index: comment_notify in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 417

Notice: Use of undefined constant comment_comment - assumed 'comment_comment' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 419

Notice: Undefined variable: error_name in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 504

Notice: Undefined variable: error_email in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 506

Notice: Undefined variable: error_url in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 507

Notice: Undefined variable: comment_comment in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 509

Notice: Undefined variable: error_comment in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 510

Notice: Undefined variable: error_verify in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/comments.tpl on line 516
Comparisons: What is the Best Black Crackle Nail Polish
Notice: Undefined variable: page_image in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 221

Notice: Use of undefined constant link - assumed 'link' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 227

Notice: Use of undefined constant share - assumed 'share' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 227

Notice: Use of undefined constant reply - assumed 'reply' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 227

Notice: Use of undefined constant vote - assumed 'vote' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 227

Notice: Use of undefined constant subscribe - assumed 'subscribe' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 227

Notice: Use of undefined constant edit - assumed 'edit' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 245

Notice: Undefined variable: blog in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/index.php on line 369

Notice: Use of undefined constant advertising_url - assumed 'advertising_url' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 6

Notice: Use of undefined constant advertising_ext - assumed 'advertising_ext' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 7

Notice: Use of undefined constant advertising_url - assumed 'advertising_url' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 20

Notice: Use of undefined constant advertising_url - assumed 'advertising_url' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 28

Notice: Use of undefined constant advertising_ext - assumed 'advertising_ext' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 29

Notice: Undefined variable: success_message in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 40

Notice: Undefined variable: error_message in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 45

Notice: Use of undefined constant favorite_types - assumed 'favorite_types' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 61

Notice: Undefined index: favorite_types in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 61

Notice: Use of undefined constant search_text - assumed 'search_text' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 116

Notice: Undefined index: search_text in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 116

Notice: Undefined variable: tag in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/header.tpl on line 127

Monday, February 21st, 2011

Comparison: Who Has The Best Crackle

Black Crackle Nail Polish Comparisons

With Crackle Polish on the rise this season, I'd figure it be a perfect time to put my collection to the ultimate test of who ranks supreme. Who has the best formula? Which brand cracks the best? Let's meet the competition.

The Contenders: Barry M Black Magic, China Glaze Black Mesh, OPI black Shatter and Cover Girl Boo Hou.

Take a jump for my results.

Barry M, China Glaze, Covergirl, OPI Black Crackle Comparisons

Barry M Instant Effects -  Black Magic is a black crackle top coat that dries to a matte finish just like China Glaze and OPI. What I really love about this crackle polish is the unique effect. It delivers more of a scattered giraffe/cow pattern compared to a linear, vertical crackle.

China Glaze Crackle Glaze - The consistency is perfect - slightly thin and very easy to work with. Black Mesh is a great alternative to OPI's Black Shatter - both have similar results.

OPI Products - After several uses of Black Shatter, I noticed the formula developed a thickness and somewhat goopy texture to it. I've heard you can use nail polish thinner to tone it down, but I haven't personally tried that.

Cover Girl Crackle - released back in the day (1999 to be precise), Cover Girl introduced six new shades, which is based on a patented polymer system that interacts with nail polish to create a two tone crackle effect.

Boo! Hou! takes a little bit more patience when applying. A rule of thumb with Cover Girl's Crackle - the base color must be wet (not dry). And if you don't see any cracking action, use a blow dryer to speed up the process. Immediately finish with a top coat to prevent flaking off. A huge pain to deal with, but leaves a nice defined crack that differs from the others.

My Opinion - Hands down Barry M Black Magic takes first place for best crackle effect. And following right behind, China Glaze Black Mesh for its next to perfect formula.

Which one do you like best?

Barry M Black Magic
China Glaze Black Mesh
OPI Black Shatter
Cover Girl Boo! Hou!

Laurie said on Feb 22nd, 2011 8:03 pm
Thanks for doing this! I'm a little bit iffy on the whole crackle craze, but now that I know there's one that's less vertical-looking, I may try it.

I've seen a few people paint it horizontally across the nail for a different look, too!

ShellyStewart said on Feb 22nd, 2011 9:31 pm
I think crackle is cute, but not sure if it's for me LOL

Steph said on Feb 23rd, 2011 2:14 am
Hi Shelly,
I know what you mean! It's a love/hate kind of relationship with most people, but you know it's calling your name :)

ShellyStewart said on Mar 1st, 2011 9:15 pm
Yes, Steph it is calling my name... Now to just get my hands on some :)

ShellyStewart said on Mar 4th, 2011 4:18 pm
Well, I did it LOL!!! I am at the Childrens Hospital with my son and I went to the gift shop and lo and behold they had 1 bottle of the black shatter. I got it, and 4 other colors!!!!!! I have it on right now over top of een Age Dream!!! :) And I am LOVING it!!!

Elaine said on Feb 22nd, 2011 11:57 pm
Love this! But I heard you can't use nail polish thinners on crackle polishes because it will mess up the formula and it won't crackle anymore.

Steph said on Feb 23rd, 2011 2:10 am
Hi Elaine,
That's crazy...I heard the total opposite! LOL! I'll have to double check with OPI just to make sure :)

Caitlin said on Jun 9th, 2011 8:41 pm
You can use nail polish thinner, but you can't use nail polish remover. Most people tend to think they're the same thing, so that might be why people are saying it doesn't work.

T said on Feb 24th, 2011 11:13 am
Can't really comment on the goopiness of OPI as mine is new and I've yet to hit that point, but I did want to chime in and say that you can absolutely get the same look as your Barry M sample with OPI.

The vertical-stringy look, I'm pretty convinced is just based on leftovers of how you brushed it on. And thinner coats dry quickly, so if your initial stroke is vertical, that's how you're cracking. Make sure there's a decent dollop on the brush to start with, get it on there, and give a couple random little swishes around once you've got your coverage, and vertical patterns are history.

If anything, I've been able to get results that look like a combo of your Barry M and CoverGirl - random patterns, but cracks not quite as wide as your Barry M - which I think I actually prefer!

So just FYI for other readers - OPI doesn't doom you to vertical cracks; it's all in the application.

Steph said on Feb 24th, 2011 12:35 pm
Hi T,
Thanks for the tips! The way you apply it definitely determines the outcome, agreed! But I've tried both thin and thick coverage, and although you can achieve more of a slightly broken up pattern with OPI, it just doesn't scatter as well as Barry M's Instant Effects.

JenJen said on Feb 24th, 2011 2:20 pm
In response to T,
Hmmm... I don't know about that..! All the pictures I seen of Black Shatter is mainly vertical

T said on Feb 24th, 2011 2:49 pm
Oh, and just wondering if anyone has tried/knew about crackle polish by a brand called Mia Secret? It appears to maybe be meant for fake nails? I came across it while looking for a blue-colored crackle. CoverGirl's may have been a pain, but the one plus was their bright/royal blue crackle that looked amazing over a white base :)

Steph said on Mar 1st, 2011 4:04 pm
Hi T,
In June, Sally Hansen is coming out with a line of 8 crackles including a royal blue one

T said on Mar 2nd, 2011 12:42 am
Awesome! Looking forward to those in June.

Not to harp on the crackles, but I just got the white China Glaze one. Have you had problems with it not staying white? Granted, I've only tried it once - over a bright medium purple - but the white turned lavender on top of the purple. Fine, I could deal with that, it is white over a fairly bright/dark color after all. But then I added clear top coat and that darkened the 'white' even more, to the point where on some nails the crackle is barely noticeable. It looks more like some sort of textured treatment for the purple rather than any sort of differently colored top layer, never mind white.

Just curious if that has been other people's experience as well, or if it's just maybe the color (or brand, even?) of the polish I chose for underneath.

Steph said on Mar 2nd, 2011 9:25 am
It sounds like the white and purple blended together? Did you make sure your base color (med. purple) was completely dry? I know that is a key step for the crackles to work properly.

However, if that don't work I would try a much lighter color like a lavender creme. Lightning Bolt is definitely the sheerest of the crackles, so it might not cover as well as the other colors. HTH!

tricia said on Feb 25th, 2011 8:45 pm
I don't think you can accurately judge and compare covergirl being its a really old nail polish (yes yours still work but formula does change with time especially being its not created to last a lifetime). I'm sure it would perform differently if it was new and fresh. I remember when they came out, and depending how you apply it it actually looks like cracks in the ground all over in every direction, and not so wide and far apart.

Cecilia said on Feb 27th, 2011 9:53 pm
Omg I Have Been Dying For Opi Shatter!!! Everywhere I go there out!!!

Pamster said on Apr 24th, 2011 9:49 am
I really appreciate you doing this! Wow! I got the Black Mesh from China Glaze and love it! I have seen the Barry M crackles on some youtube videos, and blogs, but never in this kind of a comparison, thanks Steph! :D

becks :)) said on Jun 27th, 2011 10:49 pm
I own sally hansen crakle polish, I dont know if its defective but it sucks. the brush comes stiff, its super mushy and dry, AND IT BARELY CRACKLES!!!! I got the red crackle so if you find whats wrong, just comment.

Steph said on Jun 28th, 2011 5:32 am
Hi becks,
Sally Hansen Crackle is definitely one of the most finicky brands out there! Here's a few tips that helped me, so hopefully it will help you too. Make sure your base coat is dry, you can also play around with a tacky base color and see it that helps. If you find your brush stiff, try to shake or preferably roll the bottle around really good. It allows some air to get in the brush and fluff it out a bit, which makes it easier to apply and spread out. I also found if you apply with thin coats in a two swipe motion it works best. The least amount of swipes the better.

CORYd. said on Jul 24th, 2011 8:49 pm
WELL, GALS, I'M 72 AND UP TO TRYING CRACKLE. WHO SAYS YOU HAVE TO GET OLD .0)

Ella CLIFFORD XX BABE said on Aug 16th, 2011 11:54 am
I LOVE Barry M's crackle. Its really good with a yellowey or orange base to get a leopard print!!!xx

kellie said on Sep 23rd, 2011 9:33 pm
I know it's not compared here but, KleanColor also makes crackle polish now. I tried it and it SUCKED! I was barely before it started to flake off my nail! I tried *every* type of base coat finish - creme, jelly, holo, glitter, shimmer, foil, etc., etc., etc. I even tried it over slightly wet polish, like KC customer service suggested when I called to complain. There was no way I was going to be able to save it by applying a top coat because, the crackle flakes would have just stuck to the brush and ruined my top coat.

Vicki said on Oct 1st, 2011 9:19 pm
I picked up a bottle of crackle polish from Charlotte Russe, a complete impulse buy, but I have to say, I was AMAZED by the quality. The only other crackle I've tried was Sally Hansen, and the crackle was terrible, the consistency was difficult to work with. Just blah. But the CR polish was perfect. Only thing is, it was silver, and I didn't see any other colors, so I don't know if they have black.

Amanda said on Jan 6th, 2012 11:17 pm
I too have fallen into the crackle craze. I bought some Sally Hanson pink crackle that actually works pretty well on most colors, however my husband bought some O.P.I silver crackle for me for Christmas (which is not cheap) and I haven't found a color that it looks good with yet! :/

Steph said on Jan 7th, 2012 12:54 pm
Hi Amanda,
Have you tried it over a Lavender or Lilac? The Silver Shatter isn't as versatile as the others, but I really like it with light purple and it would be perfect for Spring. It also looks good with a Blue foil like Color Club Cold Metal or Orly Sweet Peacock.

Amanda said on Jan 10th, 2012 2:34 pm
I have done a really light purple and the crackle was just kind of clumpy..I'll have to try to blue though, thanks for the suggestion!

Megan :) said on Jan 16th, 2012 3:48 pm
I like it over black. :)

Lillie*Darling said on Jan 18th, 2012 12:37 pm
I really love the Barry M one - it's awesome! I also tried a farily new one from Rimmel London: Crack Me Up in Black Graffiti, and it worked a charm. The crackle effect I love, and it doesn't do vertical lines, and it was much cheaper than the Barry M... a win-win for me!

Venus-MayBelle said on Feb 22nd, 2012 11:52 am
I also tried this one - it works a charm! I\'m currently wearing it over yellow nail varnish =^.^=

Amber said on May 5th, 2012 7:45 pm
Has anyone ever heard of the brand of crackle called KR but the K is backwards? It is great but I've never heard of it before. The way it crackles it looks like dried up clay. Plus it was only $1.50 a bottle and the bottle was 18ml (USA).

Notice: Undefined variable: test in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 97

Notice: Undefined index: login_em in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 133
Comments

Notice: Use of undefined constant comment_datetime - assumed 'comment_datetime' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 263

Notice: Use of undefined constant blog_date - assumed 'blog_date' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 316

Notice: Use of undefined constant blog_date - assumed 'blog_date' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 317

Notice: Use of undefined constant blog_date - assumed 'blog_date' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 318

Notice: Undefined variable: ny in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 320

Notice: Undefined variable: ul in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 321

2013

Notice: Undefined variable: lorem in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 393

Notice: Use of undefined constant site_path - assumed 'site_path' in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 427

Mtv Chanel Nail Polish Limited Edition Collection Mac Cosmetics Review Giveaway Swatches Sephora China Glaze Opi Color Story Glitter Product Photos Dior Reviews Gray Nails Comparisons Beauty Sally Hansen Rescue Lounge Essie Summer Collection Fall Collection Revlon Nail Polish Of The Day Metallic Orange Loreal Yellow Green Blue Mac Pink Purple Red Brown Shimmer Product Review Sephora By Opi Wet N Wild Holiday Collection Silver Black White Notd Collection Reviews Sheer Glitters Layering Top Coat Gold Multi Color Holographic Spring Collection Icing Teal Fall 2009 Matte Creme Neutrals Nail Art Polka Dots Nail Comparisons Zoya Color Club Nubar Opaque Glitters Spring 2010 Summer 2010

Notice: Undefined variable: test in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/menu.tpl on line 551

Deprecated: Function session_register() is deprecated in /home/stephscl/public_html/blog/includes/templates/include/footer.tpl on line 7