Tuesday, July 5th, 2011

Nail Art Tutorial: Red Strawberry Nails

Strawberry Nail Art

Instead of a traditional Red, White and Blue patriotic design for Independence Day, I wanted to post a fun, summer manicure inspired by my favorite fruit and Smuckers Strawberry Watermelon Press on Nails I spotted at Target a few months ago. As soon as I saw this super cute nail art design, I thought to myself "hey, now this is something I can do!" Easy Breezy!

Supplies I used: Wet n Wild Writings on the Wall (red), Wet n Wild Art Crime (yellow), Wet n Wild Undercover Graffiti (light green), Finger Paints Go Van Gogh! (dark green), Base & Top Coat, fine detailed paint brush and a dotting tool.

Check out my step by step tutorial below.

Strawberry Nail Art Step 1

Step 1: After applying a base coat, choose any cherry red nail polish for your base color. If you don't have a red, try a strawberry or bubble gum pink for a strawberries 'n creme design. Paint two coats or until opaque. Let dry.

Strawberry Nail Art Step 2

Step 2: It's time to build the leaves. Using a dark green color and a fine detailed brush, paint a fancy "A" shape without the line across like shown above.

Strawberry Nails Step 3

Step 3: Continue to fill in your leaves with the dark green on the edge by your cuticle.

Strawberry Nails Step 4

Step 4: This is when the light green comes into play. Take your fine detailed brush and light green nail polish and start outlining the edges of the leaves.

Just remember not to cover up the dark green completely. We want to add random highlights to give the illusion of real leaves.

Step 5 Strawberry Nail Art

Step 5: Now it's time for the easy part, polka dots! You can substitute the yellow dots for white ones just like the original design or if you're using a pink base. Using a dotting tool, tooth pick or fine detailed brush start dotting with white or yellow paint.

Note: I'm always in the mind frame of working with polka dots in a diagonal pattern, but you can place them anywhere on the nail. In fact, they'd probably look better if they were random or sporadic!

Strawberry Nail Art

Step 6: Before adding a top coat, make sure you let your nails dry for at least 10-15 minutes. If you apply it too early, the design may smear and blend your colors together and we certainly don't want that!

What do you think of my Strawberry Nails? Is this something you could do easily? Did everyone have a fabulous holiday weekend? Did you wear anything special? Have a great Tuesday!

Mary said on Jul 5th, 2011 3:15 pm
Hey Steph!

I removed my nail polish and was really wanting to do some strawberry nail art. Was thinking up some designs and then I came across yours!

I'm definitely going to have to try this. When I do, I'll post it up on Swatch And Learn and leave a link to your nails to let everyone know you were my inspiration! :)

Mary said on Jul 7th, 2011 1:28 pm
Hey Steph! :) Just letting you know that I tried your strawberry nails and the post is up on my blog now. :D

Thanks for inspiring me to try this!

Karli said on Jul 5th, 2011 4:56 pm
This is so stinkin' cute!!! I appreciate the tutorial, too. I'm going to try this. Thanks, Steph!

Laura said on Jul 5th, 2011 6:16 pm
So cute! This looks reasonably... not too difficult. I'll have to try it. :) Thanks for the tutorial.

robin said on Jul 6th, 2011 2:45 pm
That is absolutely adorable!!! Great job!!!

Katie said on Jul 9th, 2011 10:39 pm
Love this design! It is so adorable! I've got to try this!

Brochure Templates said on Jul 15th, 2011 12:32 am
It's so cute. I love your nails.

baac said on Jul 21st, 2011 7:43 am
Hello!

I love your site, It is a pleasure to visit. I have added your site to my site. Please link my site to your site.

Thank you!

Sheena said on Jul 23rd, 2011 1:44 pm
This is too adorable! :-)

Frosso said on Nov 7th, 2011 7:08 pm
Omg that is just too cute. I haven't dabbled with nail art yet, but you have such cute ideas I might just have to start playing around with it especially with the holidays around the corner.

nailcare said on Nov 25th, 2011 7:53 am
I tried many times and finally made it. practice makes perfect!

Comments